13008Re: Question about severe leg, feet, & hand cramping

  • Nina
    Jun 26, 2004
      <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > <murrkis@y...> wrote:
      > > Hi, Bob,
      > >
      > > Let's take a step back and look at the difference
      > > between meditation and pranayama. For the purposes
      > > of this discussion, let's assume that meditation
      > > operates on the level of 'observing'. Pranayama,
      > > on the other hand, while it may begin with observation
      > > of the breath, does entail actively altering the
      > > patterns of respiration in the body.
      >
      > Dear Nina,
      >
      > I had told the email originator before posting the query about
      > cramping/etc that I would not disclose their name or the specific
      > technique, but it is one of the most widely used of all meditations,
      > and the pranayama that was being done involves only observing the
      > breath, and does not "entail actively altering the patterns of
      > respiration in the body." As for some of the rest of your
      commentary,
      > the classic teaching is in agreement with your advise to "seek out
      an
      > experienced teacher of pranayama", but it is of course possible
      that a
      > meditation or hatha yoga teacher is knowledgable about pranayama,
      and
      > I think you will find them to be few and far between, outside of the
      > meditation/hatha teachers available to most people.
      >
      > Peace and blessings,
      > Bob

      Bob,

      My point was that just because someone teaches meditation
      and/or hatha yoga does not mean that a person has a regular,
      dedicated pranayama practice and the experience that would
      enable them to make a credible evaluation of someone's
      practice - particularly if what may be causing a disruption
      is a matter of fine tuning and not as easy as "relax and
      breathe" or as dismissive as "it's all in your head."

      Have a nice evening.

      Nina
    • Show all 15 messages in this topic