13002Re: Question about severe leg, feet, & hand cramping

    Jun 26, 2004
      <murrkis@y...> wrote:
      > Hi, Bob,
      >
      > Let's take a step back and look at the difference
      > between meditation and pranayama. For the purposes
      > of this discussion, let's assume that meditation
      > operates on the level of 'observing'. Pranayama,
      > on the other hand, while it may begin with observation
      > of the breath, does entail actively altering the
      > patterns of respiration in the body.

      Dear Nina,

      I had told the email originator before posting the query about
      cramping/etc that I would not disclose their name or the specific
      technique, but it is one of the most widely used of all meditations,
      and the pranayama that was being done involves only observing the
      breath, and does not "entail actively altering the patterns of
      respiration in the body." As for some of the rest of your commentary,
      the classic teaching is in agreement with your advise to "seek out an
      experienced teacher of pranayama", but it is of course possible that a
      meditation or hatha yoga teacher is knowledgable about pranayama, and
      I think you will find them to be few and far between, outside of the
      meditation/hatha teachers available to most people.

    • Show all 15 messages in this topic