12960Re: [Meditation Society of America] Re: About Drugs and Meditation

  • Anna Cardinal
    Jun 18, 2004
      In reading your excellent correspondence to Jody, can you give me any ideas as to what type of meditation to begin using, to help get me off a physician's RX of Clonozepem .50mg three times daily? I have been on it now for 15 yearsand absolutely hate it. I had a girlfriend who took her life in 1996 because she could not get anyone to help her come off of it.
      I have never increased the dosage, infact, try to stick to only two daily, but w/o cannot even begin to sleep. I do believe it has damaged part of the brain.
      Thanks,
      Anna

      jodyrrr <jodyrrr@...> wrote:
      --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, medit8ionsociety <no_reply@y...>
      wrote:

      Actually Bobji, the psychopharmacology of drugs are a bit more
      complex than you've described.  For instance, THC and its related
      cannabinoids have their own receptor in the forebrain.  LSD,
      psilocybin, mescaline are serotonin mimics, as is ecstasy to a
      certain degree.  In addition, cocaine addiction is regulated by
      dopamine receptors rather than having anything to do with
      endorphins.  It's really only the opiates: heroin, methadone,
      codeine and the like, which are involved in the endorphin cycle,
      AFAIK.

      --jody.

      > When you drink alcohol or smoke pot, or use any other drugs, it is
      > not the drugs that get you "high". It is the endorphins and other
      > chemicals that your body produces that bring about the pleasurable
      > feelings. If you can picture a lock on a door, and beyond the door is
      > a room full of wonderful things, endorphins can be considered the key
      > to the door. Drugs can make the endorphin key start to turn the lock
      > that opens the door. And once the door is open, good things can come
      > out of the room and they can be enjoyed. Some drugs open the door
      > wider and for longer periods of times than others, but they all allow
      > some amount of good-feeling things to be used. The problem is that
      > they all have side effects that can be considered negative. For
      > instance, alcohol can cause you to have driving accidents, pot can
      > give you the munchies to such a degree that you gain too much weight,
      > crack cocaine can cause you to steal from your own Grandmama to keep
      > the high going on, and so on, and so on. Meditation is a no-side-
      > effect way to release endorphins that can be relied on to keep the
      > door open wide, and for long periods of time. This has been proven
      > medically and scientifically in many research studies, and
      > experientially by hundreds of people who meditate every day. So if
      > your aim is to get high, try meditation - you'll like it!

      Do you Yahoo!?