12942Re: Causes

    Jun 2, 2004
      <Bigbobgraham@a...> wrote:
      > Dear Ones:
      >
      > Patanjali gives primary importance to two things which caught my
      > attention.
      >
      > In Book One of Yoga Sutra, Patanjali starts with the Fluctuations of
      > Consciousness (individual thoughts and sleep):
      > valid cognition, misconception, conceptualisation (fantasy), sleep,
      > and memory. He says they may be afflicted or non-afflicted.
      >
      > Book Two he starts with the Afflictions: ignorance (which also
      > causes the other afflictions), I-am-ness,attachment, aversion, the
      > will to live. Ignorance as defined here is the inate belief in a
      > false self, the attribution of that which is the pure Self to that
      > which is Non-Self (ephemeral).
      >
      > If a valid perception, or any of the fluctuations, is caused by one
      > of these afflictions then it is tainted by coloration. To erase
      > coloration is the goal of Yoga Sutra. Ironically this is called
      > Selflessness. The study of the categories of
      > thought (fluctuations) and the root cause of their production (the
      > afflictions) in oneself as an everyday mental attitude is part of the
      > study of Raja Yoga.
      >
      > Book Two. 11-The fluctuations of the causes of affliction are to be
      > overcome by meditative absorption.
      >
      > Sounds easy!
      >
      > Love
      > Bobby G.

      Dear Sri Bobby G,
      Thank you so much for this light and wisdom. Your "Sounds easy"
      reminds me of a great (very unknown) rock and roll song by the
      greatest basketball player ever - Wilt Chamberland - titled "That's
      Easy To Say, But So Hard To Do". And I have no doubt that the study
      and implimentation of Patanjali's Yoga Sutras do make experiencing
      "IT" easier:-).
      Thanks again,
      PS: For an excellent brief description of the 8 parts of Raja Yoga,
      see: http://www.sivananda.org/teachings/philosophy/eightlimbs.html
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic