12923Re: Siddha Yoga

  • jodyrrr
    May 26, 2004
      --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Vladimir Hristov"
      <meditating@c...> wrote:
      > Hi everyone.
      >
      > I wonder what is your opinion on Siddha Yoga meditation
      > and our Guru: Swami Chidvilasananda as I did not find
      > any posting on that subject.
      > Is Siddha Yoga meditation unpopular or banned or
      > something?
      >
      > Thank you in advance.

      Twice I've attended gatherings of Siddha Yoga folks.
      The first time was in Oakland for a satsang with Swami C.
      I was with some folk who were very intent on getting me
      to sign up. Too intent. They were over the moon about
      their guru, when I personally wasn't at all impressed with
      what she was saying.

      However, the really scary thing was seeing all those
      people shaking and swirling their bodies around. They
      were supposedly under the influence of kriyas, but all
      I saw was a kind of spiritual competitiveness. If you
      weren't twitching, you weren't getting "it". And because
      people want to be known for getting "it", everyone was
      twitching and swirling like crazy.

      My second visit was a small gathering of devotees on
      a Sunday morning to chant the Guru Gita. There was
      a TV monitor where Swami C would usually sit, and on
      that monitor was a satellite-transmitted image of Swami
      C. She wasn't doing or saying anything, just smiling.
      To this image on the TV screen, devotees were chanting
      the Guru Gita. I thought this was preposterous.

      In my opinion, way, way too much emphasis is placed
      on the Swami. It's a personality cult, and those are
      the worst venues of all to acquire spirituality, IMO.

      --jody.
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic