12825Re: Neuropeptides-Molecules of Emotions

  • texasbg2000
    Mar 24, 2004
      --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, sandeep
      <sandeepc@b...> wrote:

      So the neuropeptides are substances (amino acid codes or keys) that
      make us think the thoughts that arise from the emotions they
      stimulate in us.

      This is one of the prevailing ideas of raja yoga and it is good that
      science is able to accept it now.

      > Thank you Diana for the link.
      > -------
      >
      > After years of studying the form and function of neuropeptides
      (tiny bits of protein that consist of strings of amino acids), Pert
      has concluded that they are responsible for our emotions -- not only
      the familiar feelings of anger, fear, sadness, joy, contentment, and
      courage, but also spiritual inspiration, awe, bliss, and other states
      of consciousness that scientists have never physiologically explained.

      > Scientists have found neuropeptide receptors throughout the nervous
      system, and Pert's research has shown that the immune system also
      produces its own.

      > She has come to believe that the brain and the nervous, endocrine,
      and immune systems are interlocked in a "psychoimmunoendocrine"
      network that serves as a multidirectional, body-wide system in which
      every part communicates with every other part.

      > This concept nullifies the prevailing idea that the mind has power
      over the body.
      > "Instead, emotions are the nexus between mind and
      > matter, going back and forth between the two and influencing both,"
      says Pert.

      > Dr Candace Pert, (her book is titled "Molecules of Emotions")
      >
      > Georgetown University Medical Center
      > Department of Physiology & Biophysics
      > School of Medicine
    • Show all 2 messages in this topic