      From: Tony [mailto:tosime@...]
      Sent: Sunday, October 27, 2002 7:38 PM
      To: meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Journal Entry - October 06 - Grant

      Hi Grant,

      My ISP has just restored my connection so I have a lot of mail to wade
      through.

      With inner sounds meditation you are able to monitor your physical state by
      the type of sounds you hear. One of the things I notice is that my body
      passes distinct stages as I meditate. Each phase or stage has a certain
      quality of inner sound. The most noticeable part of each stage is the
      transition. A typical transition sounds like an engine slowing down. It
      lasts a few seconds and my body enters a deeper level of relaxation. The
      next phase usually has a different character. Typically, I sense I am deeper
      in my meditation, there is less mind chatter and the inner sounds take on a
      more distinct quality - there are fewer sounds and I can hear them more
      clearly.

      I usually do not attempt to still my mind until I pass the first stage.
      Waves of bliss do not start until stage 3 or 4. In stages 4 to 5, staying in
      a no-mind state is much easier. I sense that most of the physical benefits
      of meditation come in the later stages. Coming out of meditation does not
      seem to involve passing through the stages in reverse - I simply ease myself
      out of the stage I have reached. Coming out of meditation in stage 1 or 2
      results in an unsatisfied feeling. When you know you pass through stages, it
      can help to put you in a watcher state as you pay attention for the next
      stage. This attention helps to bring forward the next stage - it is a way to
      go deeper, faster.

      I hope this helps. Was this what you were interested in?

      ...Tony

      PS - looking back on that meditation session, I now wish I had looked more
      closer at the smaller nuances in each sound. I am yet to re-experience those
      nuances.