12617Re: [Meditation Society of America] Re: Localization - starfish - stretching the mind

  • Gregory Goode
    Jan 31, 2004
      At 11:54 AM 1/31/2004 +0000, Nina wrote:
      >Hello, Greg, Jason, Michael L. and all,
      >
      >This weekend, I am taking a workshop with Lisa Clark, who
      >teaches Body Mind Centering. I'm enjoying getting her perspective
      >on the things we are discussing.
      >
      >In yogasana, one learns that one must go down to go up. Lisa
      >Clark is particularly adept at explaining how one meets the
      >earth, engaging it, by "yielding" (language in quotes is from
      >the BMC vocabulary). This is a sattvic state, the balance within
      >contact. When one 'befriends' gravity and does not attempt to
      >"prop" (rajasic resistance) against gravity or "collapse"
      >(tamasic release) into gravity, then there may be felt a
      >rebound of energy upwards through the body.

      This is true! It's a way of allowing resistance to dissolve.

      In nondual meditation, it is easier to lose your sense of separation once it is first found. If it is well-identified and well-integrated, it's easier to get a handle on. Which is why therapy is often very helpful. That's like when I was in the Army in the 70s. About guys who weren't doing well, the drill sergeants said, "He don't have his shit together." About other guys who were doing a bit better, they said "He's got his shit together in one bag, but he just can't find the bag."

      Same thing in the localization and movement exercises we were speaking about. Once we have identified the center of our self, it's easier to see its fairy-tale aspect. Where is my center? Is it my entire body? Is it my chest? The upper middle of my chest? The spot between my eyes? A point 2 inches behind the eyes? Often these points are associated with muscular contractions or visualizations, along with the feeling that HERE it is, and with the belief that my center must be somewhere, so it is probably there. Once we have it localized to THERE, then it is more obvious just how I seem to be moving. These non-localization exercises seem more clear, the clearer is our presumed center.

      Maybe Jason would venture to say that it really *is* our center? If it is our center, then why does it seem to be felt as an object? Something is feeling or cognizing the "RIGHT HERE" - which makes the RIGHT HERE just like a patch of blue, another perceived object. And of course that which perceives the center is not the center! Another thing to wonder about would be - What does this RIGHT HERE have to do with "me"? Why is it *my* center? Where is the link between this feeling and "me"? If "I" am feeling this center, then I'm not 100% totally it - there's at least a splinter's gap or more. And this is where the localization meditations can begin....

      Pranams,

      --Greg
    • Show all 21 messages in this topic