12568Re: Localization

    Jan 15, 2004
      --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, Gregory Goode
      <goode@d...> wrote:
      > I've done this with people, and it really works. It goes against
      the grain of belief, and it can help dissolve the grip of belief.

      > People feel limited partly because they feel like they are in the
      body. They feel like, "I'm RIGHT HERE." This is the feeling of being
      localized. Part of this is because of muscular contractions, and part
      is related to beliefs about the physical structure of the body and the
      notion of the little humunculus supposedly directing things from within.

      > But there are several ways to experience things differently, and
      begin to see through and dissolve the assumptions of physical
      structure notion.

      > You can see this through movement.
      >
      > Through movement, you can see that you never move.
      >
      > Try this:
      >
      > 1. Put your body in a situation where it's moving, but not by your
      own power. If you have a chair with wheels at home, maybe someone can
      move the chair while you are seated. Or ride in a car or train. Sit
      by the window. A subway car is a bit too noisy for this. Try to keep
      the body still and stay physically passive but observant.

      > 2. While the body being moved, look at what your sensory evidence
      is telling you. What is it that you really sense? Don't go beyond
      > the experience that presents itself thru the senses. This comes
      prior to the intellectual story that might arise about a physical body
      and your being trapped inside. Don't go there. Stick to the evidence
      at hand, to the experience.

      > 3. In the chair or car, you will see a visual panorama move from
      side to side across the spectrum. These things are moving. Are *you*
      moving? You might hear things. There might be feelings of rumbling.
      You can't really say that the sounds or rumbles are moving. It is
      only by going beyond your evidence via a story line that you could
      conclude that *you* are moving. Sticking with the experience arising
      in this moment, does it establish that *you* are really moving? No!
      Things in the visual field may be moving, but *you* are just there,
      present.....

      > 4. Try it. Once you see that, then it will be possible to see it
      > even if you are walking, even running. You are not moving - other
      things
      > are. But it's easier to see it at first while in a chair or car seat.
      >
      > 5. If you don't ever move, then how can you be localized? Only
      > things with position can move. Moving means to change position. If
      you
      > really experience that you don't move, then two things will happen.
      First, if feelings of localization arise, they won't be "taken
      delivery of." They lose their significance. And after that, these
      feelings of localization stop arising...

      > --Greg

      Dear Gregji and all,
      Thank you for sharing this. It's an excellent and awakening
      observation and exercise. It brought to mind a somewhat similar Hazrat
      Inayat Khan gem from The Art of Being....

      "When a person has been alone for some time, he begins to move. He
      moves his foot or his hand, or he drums on the table. He wants to feel
      that he is alive, and the consciousness realizes that it is alive by
      its activity, the activity of the body and of the mind. When the
      activity of the body is made to cease and the activity of the mind is
      stopped, then the consciousness has a chance of realizing that it is
      alive without the life of the body and of the mind. When the body is
      brought under control, and when the mind is controlled so that we can
      keep it on one thought as long as we like and we make it blank as long
      as we like, then the soul, which is imprisoned in the body is set
      free. It is not bound to mind and body. The whole world is open for it.

      Then we realize that we are not this limited self, that we are not
      separate from God, not different, but that we are the same as God,
      that we have the same existence, the same immortal unchanging life
      beyond all the changes of this material world. In this way we can
      become perfect, as the Father in heaven is perfect."
    • Show all 21 messages in this topic