12566Re: Localization/GG

  • Gene Poole
    Jan 15, 2004
      Hi Greg...

      Forgive me for 'top posting'...

      What you say below, is true.

      I have that experience while I drive my car.

      I am merely 'reindexing' in a map; that is my
      experience. There is a certain 'ritual', the
      apparent 'movement', which is somehow
      inherent to the act of reindexing.

      Perhaps someday, we will learn to reindex
      without the ritual of movement...

      Thanks for sharing this. It is hard to state,
      what you have stated.

      ==GP==

      >Gregory Goode <goode@d...> wrote:

      > I've done this with people, and it really works. It goes against the grain of belief,
      and it can help dissolve the grip of belief.

      > People feel limited partly because they feel like they are in the body. They feel like,
      "I'm RIGHT HERE." This is the feeling of being localized. Part of this is because of
      muscular contractions, and part is related to beliefs about the physical structure of
      the body and the notion of the little humunculus supposedly directing things from
      within.

      > But there are several ways to experience things differently, and begin to see
      through and dissolve the assumptions of physical structure notion.

      > You can see this through movement.
      >
      > Through movement, you can see that you never move.
      >
      > Try this:
      >
      > 1. Put your body in a situation where it's moving, but not by your own power. If
      you have a chair with wheels at home, maybe someone can move the chair while you
      are seated. Or ride in a car or train. Sit by the window. A subway car is a bit too
      noisy for this. Try to keep the body still and stay physically passive but observant.

      > 2. While the body being moved, look at what your sensory evidence is telling you.
      What is it that you really sense? Don't go beyond
      > the experience that presents itself thru the senses. This comes prior to the
      intellectual story that might arise about a physical body and your being trapped
      inside. Don't go there. Stick to the evidence at hand, to the experience.

      > 3. In the chair or car, you will see a visual panorama move from side to side across
      the spectrum. These things are moving. Are *you* moving? You might hear things.
      There might be feelings of rumbling. You can't really say that the sounds or rumbles
      are moving. It is only by going beyond your evidence via a story line that you could
      conclude that *you* are moving. Sticking with the experience arising in this moment,
      does it establish that *you* are really moving? No! Things in the visual field may be
      moving, but *you* are just there, present.....

      > 4. Try it. Once you see that, then it will be possible to see it
      > even if you are walking, even running. You are not moving - other things
      > are. But it's easier to see it at first while in a chair or car seat.
      >
      > 5. If you don't ever move, then how can you be localized? Only
      > things with position can move. Moving means to change position. If you
      > really experience that you don't move, then two things will happen. First, if
      feelings of localization arise, they won't be "taken delivery of." They lose their
      significance. And after that, these feelings of localization stop arising...

      > --Greg
    • Show all 21 messages in this topic