12545Re: [Meditation Society of America] ego death?

  • jazzpua
    Jan 10, 2004
      Let's synergize!

      --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Doug" <zen@t...>
      wrote:
      > -----
      > On Tue, 6 Jan 2004 11:26:52 -0600 (CST), gryan@g... wrote:
      > > What is this ego death of which you speak?
      > -----
      >
      > Hello Jerry.
      >
      > To step into this conversation and offer a Buddhist perspective on
      ego
      > death I'd have to bring up a bit of Buddhist Psychology. Ego death
      in
      > the Buddhist sense involves the devolution of five components which
      make
      > up and support our illusory sense of self: 1.We separate from our
      True
      > Nature by believing that we are fundamentally flawed which in turn
      > creates a sense of self by giving rise to self-concern.

      Nietzsche... talking about pity and original sin

      2.Self-concern
      > requires that we judge things as good for me or bad for me or
      irrelveant
      > for me.

      beyond good and evil

      3.By judging things we thereby project our judgements onto those
      > things and then have no choice but to react emotionally to these
      > hallucinations because of what we belive is at stake.

      semantic reactions of korzybski. Also, "the map is not the territory."

      4.Our emotionality
      > then requires that we justify our reactionism rationally through
      > extensive discursive thought.

      Rationalization. Mental masturbation. Negative self talk. 3rd circuit
      time-binding rational circuit of timothy leary.

      5.Being constantly surounded by all this
      > inner turbulence we mistakenly take the turbulence to be our actual
      > environment, much like being immersed in watching a movie, and in
      our
      > lives we then feel and act according to what is going on in the
      movie.
      > Reversing the buildup of this turbulence and returning to our True
      > Nature through meditation we progress through gradations of
      quiescence
      > relative to the devolution of these five stages:
      5.We stop believing in
      > the movie.

      "A map is not the territory it represents, but if correct, it has a
      similar structure to the territory, which accounts for its
      usefulness". I'm questioning whether it's useful to 'believe'
      anything at all, and if so, how?

      4.We stop fighting to prove ourselves right.

      Open your senses. awareness of the present.

      3.We stop
      > knee-jerk reacting.

      yes

      2.We stop fabricating our world with judgements.

      Labels and categorizations.

      > 1.We stop believing we are fundamentally flawed. At each of these
      stages
      > of "ego death" greater quiescence, clarity and compassion for
      others are
      > the by-products.

      Good, i like it. A lot of conditioning to overcome. Or get through.
      Or whatever.

      > - Doug.

      > Sent by a member of the Mystic Village,
      > the online Zen Meditation School.