12402Re: Pragmatic Presupposition

  • texasbg2000
    Dec 27, 2003
      <jodyrrr@y...> wrote:
      > <Bigbobgraham@a...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi:
      > >
      > > There has been lots of good stuff on this topic but I had an
      opinion
      > > I wanted to make clear. So here it is.
      > >
      > > "The search for power is the search for comfort".
      > >
      > > The statement presupposes comfort is the motivator for the search
      for
      > > power. It offers no reasons or factual data.
      >
      > There is no presupposition. Power brings control over the
      > immediate environment. Control over the environment allows
      > for greater degrees of comfort.
      >
      > > Pragmatic presupposition does not assign truth or falsity to an
      > > assertion. If it is false something about it will be
      inappopriate.

      > > What I don't like about this idea is that it is purely mechanical
      in
      > > its description of motivation. The progress of evolution in an
      > > heirarchial sense is not allowed for.
      > > That is, a direction for evolution is not included in this
      > > description.
      >
      > Nonsense. Life moves toward the greatest comfort. Mutations
      > that arise which are effective adaptations to the current
      environment--
      > that is, allowing for the greatest comfort--are passed on, thereby
      > allowing a greater comfort for future generations.
      >
      > The drive toward greater comfort *is* the source of evolution.
      >
      > > I believe there is misconception and contradiction in our culture
      > > that will be eradicated by evolution.
      >
      > As long as there are individuals believing they are such and
      > acting as such, there will be misconception and contradiction.
      >
      > > Since I do not know what direction to take to achieve evolution
      out
      > > of misconception then I can not do anything with comfort as the
      > > motive hoping to achieve said evolution.
      >
      > I maintain the whole reason you are on a mission to
      > evolve (or stay out of the way of your evolution) is
      > because you imagine a greater comfort (though
      > meaning, etc.) at the end of your process.
      >
      > > That is, comfort can be said to be the motivator only after the
      fact
      > > and not before.
      > >
      > > I like the idea of spirit pulling the willing and leaving behind
      the
      > > unwilling.
      >
      > That idea is comfortable for you.
      >
      > > The Gunas in this context:
      > > tamas-pleasure (comfort)
      >
      > Staying the same is comfortable.
      >
      > > rajas-power
      >
      > Having control is comfortable.
      >
      > > sattva-meaning
      >
      > Knowing what's up is comfortable.
      >
      > > Leave behind comfort and through power (control of the vrittis)
      > > meaning will vanquish suffering.
      > >
      > > Love,
      > > Bobby G.
      >
      > The drive toward comfort is inescapable, except in the
      > imagination. ;)
      >
      > --jody.

      Jody, this entire post has nothing but your own presumption of being
      right and therefore anyone who has another opinion must not
      understand what you are saying.

      I am good with that. It is just you. I just wanted to make my own
      points about the issue.

      Love
      Bobby G.
    • Show all 20 messages in this topic