12398Re: Pragmatic Presupposition

  • jodyrrr
    Dec 27, 2003
      <Bigbobgraham@a...> wrote:

      > Hi:
      >
      > There has been lots of good stuff on this topic but I had an opinion
      > I wanted to make clear. So here it is.
      >
      > "The search for power is the search for comfort".
      >
      > The statement presupposes comfort is the motivator for the search for
      > power. It offers no reasons or factual data.

      There is no presupposition. Power brings control over the
      immediate environment. Control over the environment allows
      for greater degrees of comfort.

      > Pragmatic presupposition does not assign truth or falsity to an
      > assertion. If it is false something about it will be inappopriate.
      >
      > What I don't like about this idea is that it is purely mechanical in
      > its description of motivation. The progress of evolution in an
      > heirarchial sense is not allowed for.
      > That is, a direction for evolution is not included in this
      > description.

      Nonsense. Life moves toward the greatest comfort. Mutations
      that arise which are effective adaptations to the current environment--
      that is, allowing for the greatest comfort--are passed on, thereby
      allowing a greater comfort for future generations.

      The drive toward greater comfort *is* the source of evolution.

      > I believe there is misconception and contradiction in our culture
      > that will be eradicated by evolution.

      As long as there are individuals believing they are such and
      acting as such, there will be misconception and contradiction.

      > Since I do not know what direction to take to achieve evolution out
      > of misconception then I can not do anything with comfort as the
      > motive hoping to achieve said evolution.

      I maintain the whole reason you are on a mission to
      evolve (or stay out of the way of your evolution) is
      because you imagine a greater comfort (though
      meaning, etc.) at the end of your process.

      > That is, comfort can be said to be the motivator only after the fact
      > and not before.
      >
      > I like the idea of spirit pulling the willing and leaving behind the
      > unwilling.

      That idea is comfortable for you.

      > The Gunas in this context:
      > tamas-pleasure (comfort)

      Staying the same is comfortable.

      > rajas-power

      Having control is comfortable.

      > sattva-meaning

      Knowing what's up is comfortable.

      > Leave behind comfort and through power (control of the vrittis)
      > meaning will vanquish suffering.
      >
      > Love,
      > Bobby G.

      The drive toward comfort is inescapable, except in the
      imagination. ;)

      --jody.
    • Show all 20 messages in this topic