12304Re: No Thoughts Are Brilliant

    Dec 18, 2003
      <Bigbobgraham@a...> wrote:

      > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > > Sitting in meditation and witnessing your body, emotions, thoughts,
      > or
      > > whatever, eventually realization of a moment between the thoughts
      > > occurs. When in the thoughts, you are either drawn toward or going
      > > away from the objects of your thoughts. All the chasing after or
      > > running away from these things leads to an infinity of discomforting
      > > mind chatter. The space between your thoughts is where brilliance is
      > > found. Brilliance as in light, and brilliance as in wisdom. The
      > > brilliance between thoughts is the experience of the infinite peace
      > > transcendent of thought. The wise attend to the brilliance and live
      > > happily ever after.
      >
      > Dear Bob:
      >
      > When I meditate it takes a while to settle in, get the posture, slow
      > the breath, and notice the present. Then I center on the heart and
      > the source of the breath, which reminds me again of the 'I am" the
      > first and last thought, the aham vritti. At this point I believe I
      > am in the space between the thoughts.
      >
      > When I first heard the idea about four years ago, I thought I had to
      > find a fleeting space where no thought was present. I now see a
      > thought held in place and considered while aware of the "I am" as a
      > presented idea. Then another presented idea occurs and another and so
      > on. But each is independent of the others. Like bubbles rising. As
      > contrasted with the stream of thoughts one leading into another.
      >
      > So to me, as long as I hold concentration on the heart, on the
      > breath, or on the I am, my thoughts have spaces between them.
      >
      > Then comes a choice. I can give up this quiet meditation or I can
      > give into a seductive thought. The pleasure of thinking about some
      > things is great. I need to be able to say "I will give up the
      > pleasure of thinking of this to remain silent". The practice here is
      > to consider nothing more important than silence. The more often this
      > occurs the stronger the meditation. No matter what the thought, I
      > need to be able to give it up.
      >
      > If I don't, who am I kidding?
      >
      > Love,
      > Bobby G.
      >
      > PS- I see a thought as the larger arena of "stream of thinking" as
      > contrasted with the 'presented idea' which is one idea held in the
      > mind. Thoughts are big and have many facets and one facets leads to
      > another.
      >
      > Actually I believe when these ideas were presented hundreds of years
      > ago, this distinction may have been made in person by the teachers
      > for students to learn to meditate. It would be awfully hard to write
      > about it in an impersonal way and be totally clear without some
      > dialogue and many shared references. Today the general acceptance of
      > the definition of thoughts and thinking may be different than it was
      > back then.
      > Love, BG

      Yo Bobby G,

      Brilliant thoughts! And as such, they have brought to light some other
      thoughts. I hope you don't mind, but I've got a question for you that
      deals with art as a form of meditation in action. Your beautiful and
      skillful art seems so carefully crafted, and I'm wondering how you see
      your artistic creativity. Do you see your art as coming from this
      space between thoughts we are speaking about? And would you say that
      after it appears on the canvas, you then think about it? And do you
      then go back to the space between thoughts to allow what comes next to
      appear. Or....???