12303Re: No Thoughts Are Brilliant

  • texasbg2000
    Dec 18, 2003
      <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > Sitting in meditation and witnessing your body, emotions, thoughts,
      or
      > whatever, eventually realization of a moment between the thoughts
      > occurs. When in the thoughts, you are either drawn toward or going
      > away from the objects of your thoughts. All the chasing after or
      > running away from these things leads to an infinity of discomforting
      > mind chatter. The space between your thoughts is where brilliance is
      > found. Brilliance as in light, and brilliance as in wisdom. The
      > brilliance between thoughts is the experience of the infinite peace
      > transcendent of thought. The wise attend to the brilliance and live
      > happily ever after.

      Dear Bob:

      When I meditate it takes a while to settle in, get the posture, slow
      the breath, and notice the present. Then I center on the heart and
      the source of the breath, which reminds me again of the 'I am" the
      first and last thought, the aham vritti. At this point I believe I
      am in the space between the thoughts.

      When I first heard the idea about four years ago, I thought I had to
      find a fleeting space where no thought was present. I now see a
      thought held in place and considered while aware of the "I am" as a
      presented idea. Then another presented idea occurs and another and so
      on. But each is independent of the others. Like bubbles rising. As
      contrasted with the stream of thoughts one leading into another.

      So to me, as long as I hold concentration on the heart, on the
      breath, or on the I am, my thoughts have spaces between them.

      Then comes a choice. I can give up this quiet meditation or I can
      give into a seductive thought. The pleasure of thinking about some
      things is great. I need to be able to say "I will give up the
      pleasure of thinking of this to remain silent". The practice here is
      to consider nothing more important than silence. The more often this
      occurs the stronger the meditation. No matter what the thought, I
      need to be able to give it up.

      If I don't, who am I kidding?

      Love,
      Bobby G.

      PS- I see a thought as the larger arena of "stream of thinking" as
      contrasted with the 'presented idea' which is one idea held in the
      mind. Thoughts are big and have many facets and one facets leads to
      another.

      Actually I believe when these ideas were presented hundreds of years
      ago, this distinction may have been made in person by the teachers
      for students to learn to meditate. It would be awfully hard to write
      about it in an impersonal way and be totally clear without some
      dialogue and many shared references. Today the general acceptance of
      the definition of thoughts and thinking may be different than it was
      back then.
      Love, BG
    • Show all 12 messages in this topic