123Real inner silence is real peace

    Jan 18, 2002
      Stopping seeking alone is not going to end your
      suffering. The inner Chatterer must be silenced for
      Understanding to bring you peace.<br>From the Non-Duality
      not a 'teaching'. These are just my present views -
      they can change anytime.]<br><br>Anthony de Mello said
      [when his disciples complained about the noise created
      by the many visitors],"Silence is not the absence of
      with suffering in all it's forms; seeking,
      frustration, anger, contempt, impatience, sorrow, anxiety,
      tension, wishing things were <br>different, thinking the
      grass is greener on the other side, if only ... ,
      etc.<br><br>All suffering is gone when there is no
      self.<br><br>And it does not have to be total lack of self. It can
      be achieved in stages. Understanding that you are
      not the self, understanding about your <br>true
      nature. Understanding what is being pointed at, helps
      slowly dissolve the importance of the self. [The
      practice of non-attachment, the practice of neti-neti (I
      am not this, not this, etc.), the self inquiry of
      'who am I', etc. all help in deflating the
      ego]<br><br>When the importance attached to the self diminishes.
      Suffering in all its forms also diminishes. I don't know
      about enlightenment but this diminished self has helped
      me in many ways:<br><br>"What is" - is much more
      readily acceptable.<br>Most of the time "all nows are the
      same". i.e. it makes no difference if I am stuck in a
      traffic jam, or relaxing in a Jacuzzi.Noisy kids, strange
      noises, threatening situations or individuals, lack of
      enlightenment, etc. hardly affect me.<br>'Peace of mind' is
      rarely disturbed.Despite outside turmoil the heart is
      hardly ever touched.<br>[Unlike in the past there was
      many a times some unease, some anger, some resentment,
      some self-pity, the feeling that something was lacking
      and general uneasiness and low level anxiety.]<br>Now
      all negative emotions only skim the surface. If there
      is any resentment, anger or frustration, it affects
      only the mind and is gone in a few seconds. The heart
      remains undisturbed.<br><br>So if you want my opinion,
      forget about seeking some 'extraordinary enlightenment'.
      Just relax - "in the now". Accept - "what is". And try
      to <br>understand deep down who you really are.
    • Show all 197 messages in this topic