1190Be Good To Yourself

    Oct 5, 2002
      In our past 2 classes, we did meditations that dealt with guilt and
      forgiveness. As is usual, several of the participants actually have
      tried these techniques on their own, and that is very good. I have
      had feedback though that sometimes forgiving themselves has been much
      harder to do than forgiving others. This segues into another common
      phase meditators go through, and that is that when the light of
      introspection is pointed to the subconscious, and the dark negative
      stuff there is revealed, the beginner meditator is often horrified at
      what they see. Or at least embarrassed in front of their own eyes. It
      can be very upsetting when you see how foolish/selfish/mean/etc. we
      have been acting and a very common result is a negative self image.
      Please be quick to forgive yourself your
      transgressions/sins/stupidity/etc. There is no need to suffer further
      from your negative habits, and you need now only be positive. Your
      karma has and will work itself out as it may, but it is squandering
      good energy after bad to be down on yourself, or sad about what you
      have seen. Love yourself. Feel and know that you have simply learned
      a lesson and the most positive thing you have learned is to not
      repeat the negative. Sulking/depression/etc. is furthering the
      problem. Be gentle with everyone, starting with yourself. You now are
      purged of all that was wrong and can now start to function free of the
      obstacles that your inappropriate actions caused. It is time to live
      happily ever after.