11729[Meditation Society of America] Re: Dealing With Life Meditations

  • Swami-G
    Nov 27, 2003
      --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, Eglaelin
      <eglaelin@y...> wrote:
      > Greetings and Felicitations,
      >
      > The danger in non-attachment comes when it is
      > used as an excuse to separate ourselves from
      > those around us. I will give you an example from
      > my own life.
      > I used to share a house with several people.
      > Among the renters there was a couple where the
      > husband was a Buddhist. One day the woman picked
      > up her daughter from pre-school. The little girls
      > genitals were red and irritated. We decided to
      > take her to the doctor. Before we left we called
      > the husband and told him what was going on. His
      > reply was I will see you after meditation class.
      > The hospital reported that the girl had been
      > molested. We called the husband again. The same
      > reply was given. When he finally showed up he
      > said he needed meditation class so that he would
      > not be attached to his daughters condition. He
      > used non-attachment to hide from what was going
      > on.
      >
      > The present was his daughter was in the hospital
      > after being molested. He retreated from the Now
      > and hid in his non-attachment. Was knowing
      > himself more important that the circumstances of
      > the Now? What was more important his
      > self-knowledge or the suffering of his daughter?
      > This is the danger of simply existing without any
      > attachemt.

      SG: this is not non-attachment it is more in the order of
      denial.....

      non-attachment is being Fully in the moment as it IS without
      denying or coloring other than what is present...... it doesn't
      mean turning a blind eye ....... it means being fully present Now
      and then when that passes it is gone ........ not attaching to it as
      a past or future........
    • Show all 15 messages in this topic