11693Re: Dealing With Life Meditations

    Nov 24, 2003
      "Eglaelin" <eglaelin@y...> wrote:
      > Greetings and Felicitations,
      >
      > I would like to know what kind of meditiations members of the group
      > use when dealing with daily life. What kind of practical methods do
      > you use to keep from being angry, being afraid, being patient and
      > related subjects.
      > I am seeking to build a collection of meditations to be used in such
      > situations.
      >
      > Thanks In Advance,
      > Eglaelin.

      Dear Eglaelin,

      There are dozens of "practical methods" on our web site, Meditation
      Station http://www.meditationsociety.com (which has one pop-up and one
      pop-over, if you care:-) But what I'd like to share with you are some
      of the obstacles that will hinder or stop your meditative efforts:

      1. Laziness - not being regular in whatever methods you use. Allowing
      your mind to make excuses as to why you shouldn't meditate, or do it
      at a given time (and your mind will do this).
      2. Allowing your mind to focus on the material world and ego tripping.
      3. Listening to the doubts your mind will fill you with.
      4. Identifying with "I am my body" or "I am my emotions" or "I am my
      mind".
      5. Being careless, changing, or being inconsistent in your practice.
      6. Fantasizing about the future and rehashing the past.
      7. Squandering energy on unnecessary tension. This can be emotional or
      mental tension, as well as physical.
      8. Not paying attention to your life as it takes place (see #6 for two
      of the primary causes - habitual/obsessive behavior is another).
      9. Discontent.
      10. Running towards what your mind tells you will be pleasurable, and
      running away from what your mind tells you will not be pleasurable.

      And the two most important attributes you can have "to keep from being
      angry, being afraid, being patient and related subjects" are:

      Compassion and humility.