      From: Nina
      Sent: Tuesday, November 04, 2003 2:28 PM
      Subject: [Meditation Society of America] Re: Nekkid Instigation

      > > > devi: jp, are you that ignorant about sex
      > > > that you have to talk about
      > > > it with other people?
      > >
      > > Hehe, are we all so ignorant about meditation
      > > and nonduality that we have to talk about it
      > > with other people?
      > >
      > > devi-lishly,
      > > Nina
      >
      > devi:
      > hmmm. got me! i know that the word *ignorance* wasn't right but
      > i couldn't think of a less offensive one...obviously, i think that
      > most of the people in these groups think that kind of sex club is
      > *sleazy* eh?  i'm a middle-aged woman with 5 grown children, jps
      > offer gave me the creeps..to me it was so totally inappropriate to
      > put out an invite in this highly evolved group of beings...in
      > Conversations with God i think we are called HEBs..

      What are HEBs?

      I think we ought to take a poll:

      Do you think that kind of sex club is *sleazy*?

      A. Yes.
      B. No.
      C. No opinion.
      D. I am too overcome by sensual urges
      to respond articulately.
      E. I am too overcome by nondual being
      to respond articulately.
      F. Question does not compute: what's the
      difference between nondual being and sex?

      Feel free to add your own multiple choice answers.

      Seems that, when it comes to expounding on nonduality,
      that every other topic is fair game...
      donuts, incense, photography, painting, hiking,
      dogs and other animals, martial arts, physics,
      psychology, yoga/meditation, love and loss, gender,
      wisdom at the Waffle House, gardening, the creative
      process from poetry to parenting, metaphor after metaphor,
      on and on...

      So, why not sex?

      Would you cut one square from the quilt,
      calling it inappropriate?

      It seems, that inappropriate is merely...
      what you make it.

      It is interesting to note the areas of one's life
      that one distinguishes as being 'not appropriate'...
      why are these areas not appropriate, and in what context?

      It reminds me of a baby shower I attended a week or so ago,
      to honor my husband's brother and our sister-in-law, and
      the imminent coming of their child. This shower was held
      in one of the bastions of Southern propriety. It was
      fabulous entertainment to see what aspects of childbirth
      and rearing that group of folks chose to view and veil.

      I have become so used to navigating among a group of people
      who are entirely frank about the body, the gore, the pain,
      the parts, the inputs and outputs. It is always something
      of a shock to find myself ostracized when I carry that
      frankness into distant polite companies... such as at the
      shower, when I made the 'mistake' of mentioning the color
      of poison ivy scabs (green) and wound up silencing a roomful
      of people who stared in offense.

      It is that way with sex, as well. It is either not mentioned,
      or mentioned in veiled ways, through jokes or euphemisms.
      What would it look like to have as frank a relationship
      with one's sexuality, as one might have with one's personality
      tendencies? There is nothing innapropriate to be found, then.

      It will be interesting to see what comes from JP's club.
      Will it be more veils, or more views? Will it further a greater
      understanding within community, and of oneself? Will JP rise
      to the role of moderator, and support honest and even 'safe'
      exploration and sharing? This all remains to be seen...
      until then, it seems premature to label it as 'sleazy',
      or anything else... until then, and perhaps even then,
      any label would be pure projection, more a reflection of
      one's preferences, than the facts of the club.

      Nina