      > I was wondering if anyone plays
      > music during meditation and why...
      > There is a local Vipassana meditation
      > class where the teacher plays music
      > during the meditation. In the past, it
      > has generally been asian-influenced
      > etheric music, but last night it was
      > Japanese flutes and clapper music
      > with definite melodies. I don't understand
      > why someone would add 'ambience' to
      > a practice that would have found a perfectly
      > appropriate accompaniment in the already
      > present sounds of crickets, distant traffic,
      > rumbly-humming furnace, the high-pitched song
      > of the lighting, shiftings and stirrings
      > of our colleagues, one's own breathing, pulses,
      > and creaking joints.
      > Anyway, I wonder if there is some aspect of
      > Vipassana meditation that would lead one to
      > use music during meditation, some aspect I
      > don't know about... anyone know?
      > Nina

      devi: if i understand vipassana meditation correctly...Silence..is
      the key to getting enlightenend..i would think that any sounds coming
      from a box etc...would be for beginners so they have something to
      focus on other than the ramblings of a mind or to keep from getting
      bored...also it might be a tool to strengthen the mind or
      consciousess or awareness to get beyond sound...
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic