      > I was wondering if anyone plays
      > music during meditation and why...
      >
      > There is a local Vipassana meditation
      > class where the teacher plays music
      > during the meditation. In the past, it
      > has generally been asian-influenced
      > etheric music, but last night it was
      > Japanese flutes and clapper music
      > with definite melodies. I don't understand
      > why someone would add 'ambience' to
      > a practice that would have found a perfectly
      > appropriate accompaniment in the already
      > present sounds of crickets, distant traffic,
      > rumbly-humming furnace, the high-pitched song
      > of the lighting, shiftings and stirrings
      > of our colleagues, one's own breathing, pulses,
      > and creaking joints.
      >
      > Anyway, I wonder if there is some aspect of
      > Vipassana meditation that would lead one to
      > use music during meditation, some aspect I
      > don't know about... anyone know?
      >
      > Nina

      Hi Nina...

      I don't 'know' about this, but I can tell
      you that I personally have a long history
      of using music in conjunction with
      meditation.

      Having a background in electronics, I have
      assembled, whenever needed, hi-fidelity
      quad-channel sound systems... and placed
      the speakers for maximum enjoyment.

      While this is good for music listening, I have
      used it many times as a aid to meditation...
      not so much for myself, but as a way of
      obliterating the 'internal conversation' for
      my clients and visitors.

      Having tried many forms of music, I have
      found that certain 'techno' styles work best
      for this purpose. The music 'entrains' the
      mind of the meditator, effectively removing
      the internal arguments which are the usual
      (torturous and inaudible) background.

      Relieved of the usual self-stifling, a person
      will experience thrilling release; this is an
      liberating experience, and for many, has been
      their first introduction to the self-clearing
      of meditation.

      After this experience is had, I point out how
      the sheer enjoyment is not so much of the
      music, but instead, of the freedom from
      internal argument. This is usually comprehended,
      and at this point, meditation is available
      when desired.

      I have had a few experiences of conflict
      about this, with meditation 'purists', who
      have been taught to follow strict rules;
      and I can report, that after experiencing
      my 'meditation music' session, that there
      is agreement to its usefulness... as a
      method of induction, as introduction to
      'how to enjoy oneself'.

      Years ago, I had the pleasure of attending
      a small, private meditation session, which
      was conducted by a Tibetan Lama. He
      chanted and 'played' skull-drums, flute and
      bells during the session. His chanting was
      in Tibetan, but yet, I went to the exact place
      that he described. I was able to check on this
      after the session.

      There is no doubt, for me at least, that
      various methods can be used to entrain
      the awareness of a person, for the purpose
      of clearing the way for that person to learn
      the way of self-clearing. Music is probably
      the most accessible of those ways.

      My approach, as I have described above,
      generally does not use music which can be
      described as 'soothing meditation music';
      instead, I choose (carefully!) music which
      evokes the brilliant thunder of silence...

      ==Gene Poole==
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic