11041[Meditation Society of America] Re: organism and identity / for maria luisa

  • Nina
    Oct 1, 2003
      --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, Gregory Goode
      <goode@d...> wrote:
      > At 04:44 PM 10/1/2003 +0000, Nina wrote:
      > >There are all manner of spontaneous expressions of being
      > >filled with "The Holy Spirit". As regards my own expression
      > >of this highly intimate experience, either you see it in
      > >what I share, or you don't. The same could be said of anyone's
      > >contributions on this list.
      >
      > In some places this experience is highly contentious too. In the
      pentacostal Christian churches, there's a belief that being baptized
      by the holy spirit is evidenced by speaking in tongues. And in these
      churches, speaking in tongues has a certain sound, certain syllables
      that people recognize.

      > A friend of mine and his wife were Sunday School teachers living in
      the church building. They lost their position and had to move from
      the church. Why? One day someone asked him whether he had ever
      spoken in tongues. He said, "no." They said, well, you can't teach
      Sunday School here [and told the pastor] unless you have been
      baptized by the holy spirit."

      > He said "I was, I heard the "mighty rushing wind." They said, "Our
      doctrine states that this isn't enough, that you must speak in
      tongues." So he had to leave.

      > With that belief, it's no surprise that in these churches there are
      also classes on speaking in tongues and how to make yourself ready
      for the baptism. You even practice the sounds!

      > Great case of a cultural belief that is projected onto God!
      >
      > --Greg

      Greg,
      What an excellent parable! Thanks for the telling of it.
      -Nina
    • Show all 105 messages in this topic