> [...]
      > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      medit8ionsociety
      > > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > > > Habitual criticism of others is a way
      > > > your ego feeds itself.
      > > > Habitual compassion towards others
      > > > builds your spiritual higher bodies.
      > > >
      > > > Kir Li Molari
      > >
      > > "...establish a relationship with COMPASSION..."
      > > Gene Poole (see the MAP Read Me in the Files
      > > section to your left)
      > >
      > > (At least semi-)Seriously, some of the most valuable
      > > pointings I have found helpful for spiritual development
      > > have dealt with the concept of recognizing the negative
      > > (taking your peace away) characteristics you see in yourself,
      > > and replacing them with their opposite (those that bring you
      > > peace). For instance, when you recognize yourself being filled
      > > with desire, replace that with contentedness. Hate with love,
      > > impatience with patience, etc. Some of the best examples I have
      > > found are in the teachings of the Dalai Lama (see his technique
      > > at http://www.meditationsociety.com/week6.html ); in the
      > > teachings of Swami Sivananda, who suggests immediately going to
      > > the opposite feeling/action as soon as you see yourself
      > > experiencing negativity; and Dr. Hawkins whose splendid
      > > Map of Consciousness lays out what I will call beneficial
      > > actions/feelings (rating over 200) and those that aren't
      > > (under 200 on the Map). Acting with compassion and humility
      > > will give you good karma, and not doing so will (always?)
      > > end in suffering.
      > > Meditation is an excellent methodology for witnessing these
      > > negative, draining, bad karma bringing habitual behaviors.
      > > The more and more you replace them with righteous selfless
      > > actions, the more and more they will become your habitual
      > > behaviors, and you will be more and more (as St. Bob Marley
      > > put it) "...happy, happy, happy, all the time, time, time."
      > > Peace and blessings,
      > > Bob
      >
      > Where do those feelings of desire, hate and impatience go when they
      > are ousted by contendedness, love and patience? I suppose it's all
      in
      > how you look at it, but if we're still playing for points on the
      > karma scale, or the need to feel peace, love and happiness all the
      > time, time, time, then aren't we really still at square one?
      >
      > It's like a civil uprising, let's say, a regime change: where does
      > that regime go when it is abruptly removed by another regime?
      > Underground, where it can plan the next uprising. An alternate is
      > think of managing one's feelings as a supreme act of self-diplomacy.
      >
      > I think the compassion Gene proposes is not the 'this for that'
      > compassion of supplanting uncomfortable feelings with comfy new
      ones,
      > but the compassion that sees those uncomfortable feelings for what
      > they are, and even, what positive contributions they make. Of
      course,
      > Gene is welcome to correct me on my assumptions.

      Dear Nina,
      Thanks for the input. Here's from the same file,
      where Gene deals with the usefulness of the
      Map of Consciousness:

      "...Usefulness: Everyone goes up and down,
      and there are many 'reasons' for this,
      but it is good to realize the difference
      between desired and actual level of consciousness.
      It is easy to excuse our poor habits of relationship,
      imagining that we will improve 'tomorrow',
      but it is better to be able to squarely face
      how we are doing right now.
      *snip*
      ... Remember that COMPASSION is like a great magnet,
      which tends to lift everyone higher and higher,
      if a person is PERMITTING and WILLING."

      So, we can take this as we see it, but in relation to
      your statement :

      "...but if we're still playing for points on the
      > karma scale, or the need to feel peace, love
      > and happiness all the time, time, time,
      > then aren't we really still at square one?"

      I'd say No. We'll be living and experiencing a
      higher level of consciousness (>200), and that's
      a real evolution, and that's what we're here for
      (as well as to enjoy the upcoming football season, of course:-)