10109Re: Question

  • mlcanow
    Jul 27, 2003
      <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > Dear Graham,
      > I guess that we can agree that you actually haven't "gotten over"
      > the stress issue if your mind keeps pulling you back to it. There
      > is a possibility that meditation (Raja Yoga) could be helpful to
      > you. It's all about taming the mind and having you be its master,
      > and not its slave. This does depend on the type of stress you have
      > been going through, but if you do feel that meditation could benefit
      > you, I am confident that there are many knowledgeable and
      > compassionate people in this group who will be glad to give you
      > wise guidance. We are here to help.
      > Peace and blessings,
      > Bob
      > "Graham" <cool_55426@y...> wrote:
      > > I have just reacently gotten over a major stress issue... yet I
      > > contuine to find my mind drifting back to it. I don't really know
      > > what to do, and have a small handful of people to talk to it
      about.
      > > Can anyone help me?

      Hello Graham,
      the answer to this is not so difficult. Even if you are still living
      the issue that causes so much stress, the following excercise would
      be very helpful, and you may apply it every time in your life.
      Thoughts come and go. You can observe this. You are always there, but
      thoughts come, and then they leave and disappear.
      An issue is a thought. You can observe this too. No thought of it, no
      issue. The reccurence of some thoughts is very natural, it is how
      mind works. Mind in this case is the bundle of thoughts. The way mind
      (defined as this) survives, is trying to stay, pretending that the
      thought will be eternal, but it is not. A thought cannot survive for
      ever. It goes.
      Peace is what you are. Peace is the base, thoughts appear to obscure
      that peace. When the thought goes, peace is felt again. So peace is
      always there, the struggles that thoughts bring with them just come,
      and then go. This is very important to observe. It is basic.
      Imagine a thief. When the thief is caught in its robbery, what does
      he do? He runs away as quickly as possible, the thief disappears.
      Now, imagine the thought as a thief. What is this thief trying to
      steal? Peace. As soon as the thought is observed as what it is, (just
      a thought), it will disappear.
      Observe how thoughts arise, but do not follow them, do not feed them,
      so that they starve and then leave. Observe how they leave. Another
      thought will try to take its place, you may do the same thing, or may
      just not worry at all.

      I hope this helps, it is a practice highly recommended by the sages.

      All the love,
      maria luisa
    • Show all 11 messages in this topic