Dextromethorphan and the Jhana states

  • David
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 22, 2009
      Hey, I find it interesting that people who use DXM recreationally
      report four plateaus, or distinct different levels of consciousness.
      On the 4th Plateau most users report that they loose awareness of the
      breath in their body. It sounds much like Jeff Brook's definition of
      the 4th Jhana state.
      Here is some information I found about the 'plateaus'.
      http://members.fortunecity.com/bluehat1/dxmcalculator.html

      David
    • Jeffrey S. Brooks
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 23, 2009
        Hello David, I am not surprised that users of psychoactive substances
        experience similar stages of absorption to what contemplative experience,
        after all that was my experience using psychoactive substances decades ago.
        I have just found the meditation is a lot more consistent, more pleasant,
        cleaner and does not have the hang-over that psychoactive substances have,
        so I now emphasize the drug-free approach to altered states of
        consciousness.

        Best regards, Jeffrey