Re: GWV AZ Wilderness Meditation Retreat

  • Jeffrey Brooks
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 3, 2007
      Hello dear friends, I just returned from leading the 6-day GWV wilderness
      meditation retreat in the Gila Box Wilderness Area. It went very well. We
      did some great hiking down the Gila River to its convergence with the San
      Francisco River, and stopped at a backcountry hot spring called the
      Gilliard, along the way we explored old abandoned homesteads, a giant
      100-year old waterwheel, as well as wildlife, such as great blue herons and
      numerous raptors. We also spent a short time exploring Eagle Creek and two
      days camped near the Bowie Hot Wells hot spring.

      During the retreat we did a lot of meditation and had many excellent dialogs
      on contemplative and spiritual philosophy, practices and attainments. As
      you may know, attainment is the main focus of my work, because so few
      meditation teachers even respect attainment (phala), let alone talk about
      it.

      Due to the advanced level of the attendees the focus of this retreat was
      upon the fourth stage of material absorption (rupa-jhana) and the
      non-material domains including the OOB. During the many sharing circles we
      found the attendees had numerous experiences with meditative absorption
      (jhana, samadhi) and brushes with the OOB during this retreat.

      Hello to Alex, and thank-you for posting your comment in support of the
      charismatic work of the GWV. Yes, I agree with you. The suttas in almost
      every case express enlightenment in terms of the attaining of absorption
      (jhana) and the other fruit of the contemplative life (phala), such as OOB
      and almost never refer to insight (vipassana); however, the priesthood seem
      to emphasize the opposite.

      In the next few days I hope to catch up on the dialog on the various GWV
      listserves.

      Love and blessings to all,

      Jhananda