Consciousness: The WebCourse

  • Jeffrey Brooks
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 4, 2006
      on 12/4/06 8:11 AM, Center for Consciousness Studies at center@... wrote:

      Consciousness: The WebCourse
      January 22 to April 9, 2007

      Sponsored by the
      University of Arizona
      Center for Consciousness Studies
      Tucson, Arizona

      To register please go to:
      https://sbs.arizona.edu/project/consciousness/login.php <https://www.email.arizona.edu/horde/services/go.php?url=%2Fhorde%2Fservices%2Fgo.php%3Furl%3Dhttps%253A%252F%252Fsbs.arizona.edu%252Fproject%252Fconsciousness%252Flogin.php>

      Course Description

      New scientific findings offer tantalizing glimpses into the ultimate
      mystery of consciousness. Brain imaging has made it possible to observe some of
      the physical brain correlates of both conscious and unconscious processes. How
      does that affect our understanding of the millenial traditions of meditation
      and other subjective explorations of our own experience? How does it affect the
      fundamental ?I-Thou? perspective, in which one conscious being encounters
      another one? How does it change scientific and philosophical debates?

      In Consciousness: The Webcourse we will take a neo-Jamesian approach
      to consciousness, embracing all three classical approaches:

      Personal, Intersubjective, and Scientific.

      In Phenomenology Labs we will explore personal experiences of dreams, perceptual
      illusions, feelings of knowing, emotional highs and lows, the fleeting present
      and unconscious influences. We will also look at the second person perspective,
      what it means for an ?I? to encounter a ?Thou.? Finally, we will
      explore recent brain studies of higher states of consciousness.

      We will not settle the question ?what is consciousness?? --- but
      we will see why it is so intriguing today.

      Lecture materials will be provided, along with Phenomenology Lab
      demonstrations, and lecture slides during oral webcasts. Guest lectures will be
      given by Professors Katie McGovern and Stu Hameroff.

      Faculty

      Bernard J. Baars, PhD is best known for Global Workspace Theory
      (www.nsi.edu/users/baars). He is co-founder of a scientific journal on
      consciousness, and of Association for the Scientific Study of Consciousness. He
      is also a Board member of the Consciousness Center, University of Arizona. His
      books include In the Theater of Consciousness: The Workspace of the Mind
      (Oxford University Press).

      Thomas Z. Ramsøy is a neuropsychologist and cognitive neuroscientist,
      currently finishing his Ph.D. at the Danish Research Centre for Magnetic
      Resonance in Copenhagen, Denmark. His work spans from neuroimaging of mental
      processes to the consideration of ethical aspects in brain science, sometimes
      called neuroethics. He is co-editor of the weblog BrainEthics
      (www.brainethics.blogspot.com)

      Baars and Ramsoy co-edit the web journal Science & Consciousness Review
      (www.sci-con.org).

      Guest lectures will be given by Professors Katie McGovern, California
      Institute of Integral Studies, and Stuart Hameroff, Director, Center for
      Consciousness Studies, University of Arizona.

      Course Materials

      Oral discussions will be webcast among course members on Tuesdays.
      Webcast times
      11:00 a.m.-2:00 p.m. Pacific Time, 2:00 p.m.-5:00 p.m. Eastern, (USA) and
      20:00-23:00 CEST (Europe).
      Lectures, exercises, related documents and discussions will be archived and then
      continuously available.

      Registration

      Register online with our secure server with VISA or Mastercard.

      You can obtain an ID and password at:
      https://sbs.arizona.edu/project/consciousness/login.php <https://www.email.arizona.edu/horde/services/go.php?url=%2Fhorde%2Fservices%2Fgo.php%3Furl%3Dhttps%253A%252F%252Fsbs.arizona.edu%252Fproject%252Fconsciousness%252Flogin.php>

      Costs of Registration

      Standard Registration Fee
      $245 Prior to December 18
      $315 After December 18

      Student Registration Fee
      $115 Prior to December 18
      $145 After December 18

      Full refunds can be made minus a $25 processing fee if notification is received
      by January 20.

      Questions?
      Please direct questions to the Center for Consciousness Studies at
      center@....