A Review of Contemporary Meditation Research

  • Nirodha (Bill Gray)
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 18, 2006
      Hi friends,

      There's an on-line book I found several weeks ago that I thought
      might be useful for us all to read:

      The Physical and Psychological Effects of Meditation: A Review of
      Contemporary Research by Michael Murphy and Steven Donovan

      http://www.noetic.org/research/medbiblio/index.htm

      Happiness and Ease to you all,
      Nirodha (Bill Gray)
    • darktemplarssj
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 19, 2006
        --- In meditation_research@yahoogroups.com, "Nirodha (Bill Gray)"
        <nirodhasati@...> wrote:

        > Hi friends,
        >
        > There's an on-line book I found several weeks ago that I thought
        > might be useful for us all to read:
        >
        > The Physical and Psychological Effects of Meditation: A Review of
        > Contemporary Research by Michael Murphy and Steven Donovan
        >
        > http://www.noetic.org/research/medbiblio/index.htm
        >
        > Happiness and Ease to you all,
        > Nirodha (Bill Gray)

        Lol, I was just about to post this book. I've read it twice, there's
        not much on Jhana but there are many other useful tidbits.
        -Dave
      • Jhanananda
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 22, 2006
          Hello friend Nirodha, I read the excerpt you posted for us to read from A
          Critique of Western Research on Meditation
          <http://www.greatwesternvehicle.org/criticism/meditationresearch.htm>

          The test of the 7 yogis sounds interesting, however, we would want to hear
          more about the test and the yogis. Just because someone walks around India
          with matted hair, and pretending to meditate does not make him or her an
          accomplished contemplative.

          Also, we would want to know how long a period the yogis were tested over.
          Was it a 10 minute meditation, or an hour or more, etc?

          Latukikopama Sutta, MN 66
          "...he enters and abides in the fourth absorption (jhana): purity of
          equanimity & mindfulness, neither pleasure nor pain. This is called
          renunciation-pleasure, seclusion-pleasure, calm-pleasure,
          self-awakening-pleasure. And of this pleasure I say that it is to be
          cultivated, to be developed, to be pursued, it is not to be feared.
          http://www.accesstoinsight.org/canon/sutta/majjhima/mn066.html

          The contemplative Jeffrey S, Brooks
          (Jhananda)
          the Great Western Vehicle