Re: [medievalsawdust] What's up?

  • Dan Baker
    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 9, 2002
      A book review will have to wait a couple weeks, I got draggoned into writing
      a couple articles for Artes Draconis, and I only have about 2 weeks. But I
      would be happy to do one.

      I am making another of the Viking beds
      http://www.dnaco.net/~arundel/bedplan.html

      as a gift/commision (I offered to make one for the cost of the wood). My
      Baron and Baroness are viking and really liked my bed.

      --
      YIS,

      Lord Rhys, Capten gen y Arian Lloer
      Privateer to the Midrealm

      Arafu at dawnsio mewn adlaw
      ...Take time to dance in the rain...

    • vinlandar
      Message 2 of 18 , Jun 11, 2002
        Conal,

        Hello, and may I inquire about what sort of hinges you received? A
        good source of period looking and maybe even primitive looking hinges
        would be very nice.

        -Charlie

        --- In medievalsawdust@y..., Conal O'hAirt Jim Hart <baronconal@y...>

        Message 3 of 18 , Jun 12, 2002
          lee valley has hand forged hinges
          I haven't used them ( the other project
          was a tourney prize and I had a bit of
          a budget...

          got pic's of what you are planning?

          Conal

          --- vinlandar <vinlandar@...> wrote:
          > Conal,
          >
          > Hello, and may I inquire about what sort of hinges
          > you received? A
          > good source of period looking and maybe even
          > primitive looking hinges
          > would be very nice.
          >
          > -Charlie
          >

          > --- In medievalsawdust@y..., Conal O'hAirt Jim Hart
          > <baronconal@y...>
          > wrote:
          > > Yea, I got them and couple of catalogs that
          > > the locals have threatened to steal.
          > >
          > > Thanks for the tip!
          > >
          > > For those that don't know what we are
          > > talking about, check out....
          > >
          > > www.leevalley.com
          > >

          > > Conal
          > >
          > > --- Dan Baker <Capten_Rhys@h...> wrote:
          > > > And very well done from the pictures I have
          > seen.
          > > >
          > > > Greetings Conal my friend!
          > > >
          > > > Did you get those hinges?

          > > Try FREE Yahoo! Mail - the world's greatest free
          > email!
          > > http://mail.yahoo.com/

          http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
        • vinlandar
          Message 4 of 18 , Jun 13, 2002
            Hi, Conal,

            yep, here are two links to a site by Mr. Wyeley from whence I will be
            drawing my plans for a couple of Viking stools and a simple chest to
            keep some of my stuff in.

            stool:
            http://www.angelfire.com/wy/svenskildbiter/Viking/vikstool.html

            Chest: (I think I will change the dimentions a bit, and make mine
            about half as long as this one.
            http://www.angelfire.com/wy/svenskildbiter/Viking/vikchest.html

            I have done a little working with wood before, but I am not an
            experienced woodworker.

            Message 5 of 18 , Jun 13, 2002
              If you are gonna go as far as
              doing a reproduction ....
              ( you are in the SCA, right? )
              ... find a blacksmith and get the
              hinges custom made. He/She might
              help you make them, or just want a
              little help with some grunt work in
              trade.

              Where are you?

              Conal

              Message 6 of 18 , Jun 13, 2002
                they are not Viking...

                but check out...

                http://www.dnaco.net/~arundel/oakley.html

                Conal

                Message 7 of 18 , Jun 13, 2002
                  Interestingly, I can not find any documentation for Mr Wyeley's items. I
                  even researced his references and they mentions nothing of his items.

                  HOWEVER, that said, I have been in touch with Proffesor Christienson, the
                  curator of the oslo museum, and one of the best current athorities of viking
                  artifacts. He reccomends Mr Wyeley's site highly, and believe the items are
                  period. (pardon the typing, I had a bad day and I am drinking Captain
                  Morgan and a tiny amount of Coke.

                  Message 8 of 18 , Jun 13, 2002
                    Thanks, Captain,

                    I have the book, 'The Mastermyr Find" - a Viking age tool chest by
                    Arwidsson and Berg, and it gives very extensive detail. I am going
                    to go with the construction technique, and change the measurements a
                    little to accomodate a alightly different purpose. My theory behind
                    the dimension adjustment is that construction techniques would be
                    passed on and would probably be found in more than one piece, but
                    there was no Wallmart in Gotland where a Viking with a need for a
                    toolchest could go and find racks and rows of identical pieces. they
                    would have been made, using common techniques, to suit the purpose of
                    the maker or the buyer.

                    Beyond the photo in Wyeley's site, I have not found documentation of
                    that stool from Lund, but I imagine I will as I keep on looking. In
                    the meantime, the Wallmart theory I again apply, and expect that
                    stools would be similar, but probably not identical en masse.

                    Conal, I am not in the SCA, but this spring I had the priveledge of
                    meeting the great blacksmith from Wharram Forge up in Canada who
                    works with the Canadian Parks Ministry in making replicas for the
                    L'ans au Meadows (sp?) historical site. He has a pretty nice tool
                    chest, and I may contact him and ask him what he is doing for hinges.

                    If I get any decent results, I will photo them if you like, and share.

                    -Charlie

                    Message 9 of 18 , Jun 14, 2002
                      An excellent book indeed. And I am considering making that chest myself.
                      If you research the Gokstad and Oseberg burial ships, you will find that
                      they carry beds that did vary to individual needs. Making that stretch for
                      other items seems reasonable.

                      >Thanks, Captain,
                      >
                      >I have the book, 'The Mastermyr Find" - a Viking age tool chest by
                      >Arwidsson and Berg, and it gives very extensive detail. I am going
                      >to go with the construction technique, and change the measurements a
                      >little to accomodate a alightly different purpose. My theory behind
                      >the dimension adjustment is that construction techniques would be
                      >passed on and would probably be found in more than one piece, but
                      >there was no Wallmart in Gotland where a Viking with a need for a
                      >toolchest could go and find racks and rows of identical pieces. they
                      >would have been made, using common techniques, to suit the purpose of
                      >the maker or the buyer.
                      >
                      >Beyond the photo in Wyeley's site, I have not found documentation of
                      >that stool from Lund, but I imagine I will as I keep on looking. In
                      >the meantime, the Wallmart theory I again apply, and expect that
                      >stools would be similar, but probably not identical en masse.
                      >
                      >Conal, I am not in the SCA, but this spring I had the priveledge of
                      >meeting the great blacksmith from Wharram Forge up in Canada who
                      >works with the Canadian Parks Ministry in making replicas for the
                      >L'ans au Meadows (sp?) historical site. He has a pretty nice tool
                      >chest, and I may contact him and ask him what he is doing for hinges.
                      >
                      >If I get any decent results, I will photo them if you like, and share.
                      >
                      >-Charlie
                      >

                      >--- In medievalsawdust@y..., "Dan Baker" <Capten_Rhys@h...> wrote:
                      > > Interestingly, I can not find any documentation for Mr Wyeley's
                      >items. I
                      > > even researced his references and they mentions nothing of his
                      >items.
                      > >
                      > > HOWEVER, that said, I have been in touch with Proffesor
                      >Christienson, the
                      > > curator of the oslo museum, and one of the best current athorities
                      >of viking
                      > > artifacts. He reccomends Mr Wyeley's site highly, and believe the
                      >items are
                      > > period. (pardon the typing, I had a bad day and I am drinking
                      >Captain
                      > > Morgan and a tiny amount of Coke.
                      > >

                      > > >they are not Viking...
                      > > >
                      > > > but check out...
                      > > >
                      > > >http://www.dnaco.net/~arundel/oakley.html
                      > > >
                      > > > Conal

                      > > >http://www.angelfire.com/wy/svenskildbiter/Viking/vikstool.html

                      > > >http://www.angelfire.com/wy/svenskildbiter/Viking/vikchest.html

                      > > >Yahoo! - Official partner of 2002 FIFA World Cup
                      > > >http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
                      > >

                      > > --
                      > > YIS,
                      > >
                      > > Lord Rhys, Capten gen y Arian Lloer
                      > > Privateer to the Midrealm
                      > >
                      > > Arafu at dawnsio mewn adlaw
                      > > ...Take time to dance in the rain...

                      YIS,

                      Lord Rhys, Capten gen y Arian Lloer
                      Privateer to the Midrealm

                      Arafu at dawnsio mewn adlaw
                      ...Take time to dance in the rain...

                    • Scott Lane
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jun 16, 2002
                        >If you are gonna go as far as
                        >doing a reproduction ....
                        > ( you are in the SCA, right? )
                        >... find a blacksmith and get the
                        >hinges custom made. He/She might
                        >help you make them, or just want a
                        >little help with some grunt work in
                        >trade.
                        >Where are you?

                        I have been requested to do some hinges for a few local people
                        :) Let me know what kind you need?

                        Aodhfin
                      • vinlandar
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jun 16, 2002
                          --- In medievalsawdust@y..., Scott Lane <scotty@o...> wrote:
                          > > I have been requested to do some hinges for a few local
                          people
                          > :) Let me know what kind you need?
                          >
                          > Aodhfin

                          Ahodfin,

                          Thanks, that is a generous offer. I have contacted a blacksmith in
                          the SCA who has done some nice forged cooking forks for me before,
                          and he is researching the chest and possible hinges.

                          -Charlie
                        • Helen Schultz
                          Message 12 of 18 , May 11, 2009
                            These aren't small box hinges, but since we were on the subject, I thought I'd share...

                            ~~ Katarina Helene

                            Message 13 of 18 , May 11, 2009

                              Here’s a good resource for generic “old” hinges.  They are mass-produced out of mild steel for the most part.  They are not authentic in many ways, but they pass the Conan Test  (10 foot rule) and are excellent for “utility camp boxes.”  Their best feature is that they are cheap, at between $7.00 (US) to $24 (US) a pair.   You will want to look at the categories labeled “Antique Steel Hinges,” “Hand Forged Hinges,” “Equal Strap Hinges,” “Unequal Strap Hinges,” “Small Equal Decorative Hinges” and “Folding Leaf Hinges.”  Many of them are similar in general appearance to the examples in Chinnery and at the Cloisters in NYC.

                              http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/page.aspx?c=2&p=41262&cat=3,41241

                              Will