Cypress

  • hrolfr_ornsson
    Message 1 of 1 , May 11, 2008
      I have search on this question on the web to no avil so I put it to
      you all....

      I am new to woodworking having only done a few projects. I had make
      a viking style camp bed using 2x4s from H.D. It works pretty well (2
      Gulfwars, 1 penssic and several local events) I messed the dementions
      up a bit so its a queen + size ( ok so it is about a ft to a ft and
      a half too long and is about a ft wide) I have toyed with the idea
      of just redoing the cuts but I think I have settled on scrapping and
      making a new bed from the ground up....

      Now here is my question... is Cypress going to be strong enough to
      make a 4/4 slat viking style bed or should I use oak. I live in
      Trimaris and am less then 10 miles from a cypress mill so I would
      love to use cypress however not being a small guy(360lbs+) and my
      lady not being a small woman (***lbs yesh she would kill me if I
      posted it LOL but she isn't near as large as I am :D) The only oak
      I have been able to find is at that local H.D. seems like most if not
      all the lumber yards here in the tampa area have closed....

      So what do you all think is the cypress going to be strong enough or
      would I just be asking for a catasrophic failure of the bed at an
      event???

      Oh and the bed is to be sized to hold a queen size air mattress

      Thanks,
      Hrolfr