Savranola Chairs

  • eamonnmaccampbell
    Message 1 of 25 , May 8, 2008
      Greets, Does anyone have a site they would share that has a good
      pattern for this type of chair?

      I need to make a couple of them and just looking at pictures really
      doesn't give me a good enough idea of the measurements.

      Thanks,

      Emaonn
    • Rebekah d'Avignon
      Message 2 of 25 , May 9, 2008
        http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Medieval/Articles/folding_armchair/folding_armchair.html

        eamonnmaccampbell <celticdragon_68@...> wrote:
        Greets, Does anyone have a site they would share that has a good
        pattern for this type of chair?

        I need to make a couple of them and just looking at pictures really
        doesn't give me a good enough idea of the measurements.

        Thanks,

        Emaonn

        RdA
        Tools alone do not a craftsman make.

      • jay sabath
        Message 3 of 25 , May 9, 2008
          and here is another variation.

          http://www.mastercharlesoakley.com/coff_chair.html

          On Fri, May 9, 2008 at 5:54 AM, Rebekah d'Avignon <rebekahdavignon@...> wrote:

          http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Medieval/Articles/folding_armchair/folding_armchair.html

          eamonnmaccampbell <celticdragon_68@...> wrote:
          Greets, Does anyone have a site they would share that has a good
          pattern for this type of chair?

          I need to make a couple of them and just looking at pictures really
          doesn't give me a good enough idea of the measurements.

          Thanks,

          Emaonn

          RdA
          Tools alone do not a craftsman make.

          Lord Johannes Machiavelli
          Shire of Rokkehealden
          Kingdom of the Middle
        • Trevor Payne
          Message 4 of 25 , May 9, 2008
            Actually aren't both of those Dantesca style chairs?

            This is a Savonarola chair:
            http://www.burchardgalleries.com/auctions/2002/jan2002/l024b.jpg

            Eamon, IIRC I might have a PDF of plans for one in my collection let me look.

            Aiden

            &quot;Those who beat their swords into plowshares plow for those who didn&#39;t&quot;
            --Benjamin Franklin--

            Message 5 of 25 , May 9, 2008
              Aiden,
              If you've got those in PDF, I'd like to see them.

              Will

              Message 6 of 25 , May 9, 2008

                as would i.

                regards

                logan

                "I never did give them hell. I just told the truth, and they thought it was hell."
                Harry S Truman

                "If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared"

                Niccolo Machiavelli

                www.ebonwoulfe.com

                Message 7 of 25 , May 9, 2008
                  And myself...

                  Lucien

                  Message 8 of 25 , May 9, 2008
                    Ok, well to simplify things, I posted the PDF to the files section. After looking at the plans I realized they are designed to be used with plywood. However, I think with a little modification they would be used on demensional lumber to.

                    I can not remember what website I got them off of. If anyone knows Please tell me so I can give credit where credit is do.

                    Message 9 of 25 , May 9, 2008
                      I put some pics in my folder, in the interest of space I only threw out
                      a few of them, I have more if anyone wants them.

                      Alasdair
                    • eamonnmaccampbell
                      Message 10 of 25 , May 9, 2008
                        Yup, both those that were shown are Decatesa or Currel chairs...The
                        Saveranola type are multipul arms with the seat that is attached in
                        between the arms and folds down to lock it into place. The origanol
                        folding chair...LOL

                        The Currel types were not made to fold all the way, but will lose
                        about 1/4 to 1/3 their width when folded....

                        I've made a few of them out of ash, and have come to the conclusion
                        ,that although they are comfy and great...They just take up to much
                        space when going to an event...Course, I have thought of a couple of
                        ways to build them for take down, and be a bit anachronistic....But I
                        just wanna try and see what I can do with the Saveranola type ones,
                        before I start worrying about building take down currels.
                      • Rebekah d'Avignon
                        Message 11 of 25 , May 10, 2008
                          Here it is in a Word Doc for 2" lumber.

                          Message 12 of 25 , May 10, 2008
                            So how does one see what you have posted???

                            I can't get into that file or whatever it is....Any ideas?

                            EmC

                            --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Rebekah d'Avignon
                            <rebekahdavignon@...> wrote:

                            > Here it is in a Word Doc for 2" lumber.
                            >

                            > RdA
                            > Tools alone do not a craftsman make.
                            >

                            > ---------------------------------
                            Try it now.

                          • Wolfeyes
                            Message 13 of 25 , May 10, 2008
                              OpenOffice 2.3 will open it.

                              http://www.openoffice.org/

                              On Sat, 2008-05-10 at 22:01 +0000, eamonnmaccampbell wrote:
                              > So how does one see what you have posted???
                              >
                              > I can't get into that file or whatever it is....Any ideas?
                              >
                              > EmC
                              >
                              > --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Rebekah d'Avignon
                              > <rebekahdavignon@...> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Here it is in a Word Doc for 2" lumber.
                              > >

                              > > RdA
                              > > Tools alone do not a craftsman make.
                              > >

                              > > ---------------------------------
                              > Try it now.

                            • Eric
                              Message 14 of 25 , May 11, 2008
                                For anyone that reads these posts directly from the Yahoo group,
                                Yahoo does not allow attachments. If you have anything that won't
                                cut and paste directly into a post, please add it to the site as a
                                file or include a link to an external site.

                                Yours, In Service,
                                Eirikr Mjoksiglandi

                                <rebekahdavignon@...> wrote:

                                > Here it is in a Word Doc for 2" lumber.
                                >

                                > RdA
                                > Tools alone do not a craftsman make.
                                >

                                > ---------------------------------
                                Mobile. Try it now.

                              • Rhys Terafan Greydragon
                                Message 15 of 25 , May 11, 2008
                                  The document opens fine for my in MS Word 2003....

                                  Terafan

                                    Message 17 of 25 , May 11, 2008
                                      OK...maybe I'm blind ,but I'm not seeing them...The newst one I can
                                      find is the plywood one with a separate seat...I really am begining to
                                      annoy you ain't I....:-)

                                      <rebekahdavignon@...> wrote:

                                      > To solve the problem I uploaded two files with measured drawings
                                      this morning.

                                      > Rhys Terafan Greydragon <terafan@...> wrote:
                                      > The document opens fine for my in MS Word 2003....
                                      >
                                      > Terafan
                                      >

                                      > ---------------------------------
                                      >

                                      > RdA
                                      > Tools alone do not a craftsman make.
                                      >

                                      > ---------------------------------
                                      Try it now.

                                    • Wolfeyes
                                      Message 18 of 25 , May 11, 2008
                                        I got it, folks - file sent off-list. :-)

                                        Wolf

                                        On Sun, 2008-05-11 at 20:54 +0000, eamonnmaccampbell wrote:
                                        > OK...maybe I'm blind ,but I'm not seeing them...The newst one I can
                                        > find is the plywood one with a separate seat...I really am begining to
                                        > annoy you ain't I....:-)
                                        >
                                        > EmC

                                      • Eric
                                        Message 19 of 25 , May 11, 2008
                                          EmC,

                                          Rebekah uploaded 2 files today, the first is titled "Folding
                                          Armchair Spec.doc", containing the patterns for a Dantesca style
                                          chair. The second file "Camp chair diagrams and pictures.doc"
                                          contains info for a Glastonbury variant, info for a high-backed
                                          Gothic chair in plywood and a photo of the Dantesca chair from the
                                          first file.

                                          I hope that this makes things a little clearer.

                                          In Service to the Dream,
                                          Eirikr Mjoksiglandi
                                          Ashgrove, Barony of Angels, Caid

                                          --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "eamonnmaccampbell"
                                          <celticdragon_68@...> wrote:

                                          > OK...maybe I'm blind ,but I'm not seeing them...The newst one I
                                          can
                                          > find is the plywood one with a separate seat...I really am
                                          begining to
                                          > annoy you ain't I....:-)
                                          >

                                          > EmC
                                          >

                                          > --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Rebekah d'Avignon
                                          > <rebekahdavignon@> wrote:
                                          > >
                                          > > To solve the problem I uploaded two files with measured drawings
                                          > this morning.
                                          > >

                                          > > Rhys Terafan Greydragon <terafan@> wrote:
                                          > > The document opens fine for my in MS Word 2003....
                                          > >
                                          > > Terafan
                                          > >

                                          > > ---------------------------------
                                          > >

                                          > > RdA
                                          > > Tools alone do not a craftsman make.
                                          > >

                                          > > ---------------------------------
                                          Mobile.
                                          > Try it now.

                                        • eamonnmaccampbell
                                          Message 20 of 25 , May 11, 2008
                                            --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Eric" <ewdysar@...> wrote:

                                            > EmC,
                                            >
                                            > Rebekah uploaded 2 files today, the first is titled "Folding
                                            > Armchair Spec.doc", containing the patterns for a Dantesca style
                                            > chair. The second file "Camp chair diagrams and pictures.doc"
                                            > contains info for a Glastonbury variant, info for a high-backed
                                            > Gothic chair in plywood and a photo of the Dantesca chair from the
                                            > first file.
                                            >
                                            > I hope that this makes things a little clearer.
                                            >
                                            > In Service to the Dream,
                                            > Eirikr Mjoksiglandi
                                            > Ashgrove, Barony of Angels, Caid

                                            Well, I'm sure you all are going to think I'm a moron...But I am not
                                            seeing anything by those names when I look in the files
                                            section...Don't know why..But I'm not seeing them...I guess it doesn't
                                            really matter though since neither is what I'm looking for, but it
                                            never hurts to see what other folks have done in case someone asks me
                                            what they can do on a budget...Sorry to be a pain...But I truely am
                                            not seeing these file names...
                                          • eamonnmaccampbell
                                            Message 21 of 25 , May 11, 2008
                                              Well, now I see them...But I don't have the program to open
                                              them...Need to work on that...BUT, I did find a set of plans, not quit
                                              what I was looking for with the seat, but I also took a good long look
                                              at some extent pictures from period and I think I see how it all goes
                                              together...For those also interested here's the link

                                              http://www.currentmiddleages.org/tents/chair115ct.pdf

                                              So now the fun begins...Just need to decide if I want to do them in
                                              Ash or Maple...Should probable start with pine first to keep from
                                              ruining anything good while I get all the bugs worked out.....

                                              And the fun begins
                                            • Rebekah d'Avignon
                                              Message 22 of 25 , May 12, 2008
                                                I looked....they are there. One is under "C" for camp chair and the other is under "F" for folding chair.

                                                eamonnmaccampbell <celticdragon_68@...> wrote:
                                                OK...maybe I'm blind ,but I'm not seeing them...The newst one I can
                                                find is the plywood one with a separate seat...I really am begining to
                                                annoy you ain't I....:-)

                                                EmC
                                                Messages in this topic (17) Reply (via web post) | Start a new topic
                                                .

                                                Message 23 of 25 , Jun 3, 2008
                                                  here is a link to a PDF of an essay about ripping, planing and cutting stock to size the medieval way:

                                                  https://secure.filesanywhere.com/Photofolder/ShowFileShareFV.asp

                                                  I did not write the essay, I am only forwarding it on.

                                                  Aiden

                                                • Copernicus Skygazer
                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Jun 3, 2008
                                                    The link appears to be short, there should be information after the .asp
                                                    part (usually with a ? followed by other characters) and I'm getting a
                                                    notice from the site to make sure to copy the full link when I try to go
                                                    to that address,
                                                    YIS,
                                                    Phillipos the Skeptic

                                                    On Tue, 3 Jun 2008, Trevor Payne wrote:

                                                    > here is a link to a PDF of an essay about ripping, planing and cutting
                                                    > stock to size the medieval way:
                                                    >
                                                    > https://secure.filesanywhere.com/Photofolder/ShowFileShareFV.asp
                                                    >

                                                    > I did not write the essay, I am only forwarding it on.
                                                    >
                                                    > Aiden

                                                  • Trevor Payne
                                                    Message 25 of 25 , Jun 3, 2008
                                                      Well, lets try this then.

                                                      I uploaded the PDF to the files section of the medieval sawdust site. It is loose in the files section and it is titled: Justus_Stock_Prep.PDF