RE: [MedievalSawdust] Let there be security! was Light!

  • Rebecca A. Yaniv
    Message 1 of 26 , May 5 12:29 PM
      Message
      If bricking up windows (or adding wrought iron "decoration"), make sure you have an area of daylight balanced lighting - so you can see what colour you are actually staining things and whether the wood is screaming, "I am sta-ained."   Actually put more lighting on the outside - the type that goes on when a mouse's shadow goes by.

      For those of you with shops, make sure you have 4" screws (or better if there is such a thing) holding in the door frame, a nice deep dead-bolt or two, no weak spots in the walls, roof or whatever surrounding you and that _you_ are the only one with _all the sets of keys_ to the shop.  And that any plugs on the outside of the shop, must be turned on from inside the shop or house, but not just on all the time.

      Put an alarm in.  And work shop security (organization) into your routine as you enter and leave.

      And Will, I feel for you regarding your losses.

      Rabiya
          Still trying to figure out how my circular saw walked out of a locked garage!  Oh and what would someone want with my Fairgate dressmaking curve?

      Message 2 of 26 , May 5 1:52 PM
        Fortunately, they didn't take any of my antique tools. (Except my anvil.  I MISS that anvil)

        I only lost modern hand-tools and a few bench tools. Expensive, but not hard to find.

        And yeah, first the doorframes got re-enforced.  Then the burglar bars got put in.  Next is lighting.  Lots and lots of exterior lighting.

        Then an alarm.

        Then the cameras.

        I'm over this.

        And when the camera's send a picture of someone breaking into my shop to my cell phone, someone's getting a beat down.

        Will

        Message 3 of 26 , May 5 8:03 PM
          Please take my advice as from someone who works on the physical
          security of critical installations - I'm probably over the top for a
          shop. On the other hand, tools are expensive and you could get some
          insurance reductions.

          --- "Rebecca A. Yaniv" <rivka-Y@...> wrote:

          > For those of you with shops, make sure you have 4" screws (or better
          > if there is such a thing) holding in the door frame, a nice deep
          > dead-bolt or two, no weak spots in the walls, roof or whatever
          > surrounding you and that _you_ are the only one with _all the sets
          > of keys_ to the shop.

          If you choose to use a skylight for your natural lighting, make sure
          it's well secured. An old friend of dubious background once showed me
          how easy it is to pop up the typical skylight window - usually held
          down by a couple of roofing nails.

          If you seal up your shop for security and climate control, make sure
          your HVAC system isn't a vulnerability. Here in New Mexico, most air
          conditioning is provided by swamp coolers that are easily removed by
          burglars.

          Also, if you do seal up the shop for security and climate control,
          make sure you have proper ventilation for chemical vapors and good
          sawdust control.

          You'll probably need at least one over-sized or double door for
          panels and large lumber. Make sure those doors have center locking
          mechanisms to prevent springing them. Also, all doors should either
          have protected outside hinges (usually spot-welded) or no hinges on the
          outside. For safety, you should have at least one set of doors that
          open outward, but that implies hinges on the outside, so you'll have to
          choose your risk.

          Götz

          Be a better friend, newshound, and
        • AlbionWood
          Message 4 of 26 , May 5 8:22 PM
            Y'all are really making me glad of where I live. If I ever needed that
            kind of security, I think I'd move.

            CHeers,
            Tim
          • Wolfeyes
            Message 5 of 26 , May 5 11:44 PM
              On Mon, 2008-05-05 at 20:03 -0700, Liedtke Goetz wrote:

              < and there was much snippage (with apologies to the crew of Monty
              Python) >

              > You'll probably need at least one over-sized or double door for
              > panels and large lumber. Make sure those doors have center locking
              > mechanisms to prevent springing them. Also, all doors should either
              > have protected outside hinges (usually spot-welded) or no hinges on
              > the
              > outside. For safety, you should have at least one set of doors that
              > open outward, but that implies hinges on the outside, so you'll have
              > choose your risk.
              >
              > Götz

              Years ago I knew someone who managed to find two matching over-sized
              metal doors. He "flipped" one door, removed the outside knobs, and
              installed large "D" handles on the inside (remember school?
              "crash-bars" on the inside, "D" handles on the outside?). Then
              tack-welded a three or four pieces of 1/4" X 4" X 8' pieces of flat
              stock. A couple of brackets on either side of the door to support the
              ends, and Bingo! "Bar the door" took on new meaning.

              Yes, it was work. And yes, you could only open it from the inside. But
              that was the whole intention. Since the door-frame was solidly built,
              you couldn't pull the doors open with a truck - which was what happened
              to the previous set of doors, resulting in the loss of some $10,000
              worth of tools, lumber, and metal.

              Security needs to be planned in from the ground up.

              Good luck!
            • Wolfeyes
              Message 6 of 26 , May 5 11:50 PM
                On Mon, 2008-05-05 at 20:22 -0700, AlbionWood wrote:
                > Y'all are really making me glad of where I live. If I ever needed
                > that
                > kind of security, I think I'd move.
                >
                > CHeers,
                > Tim

                Tim;

                You're welcome to move down here. Last month a large part of town lost
                power because some idiots swiped a bunch of copper wire - which happened
                to be "in use" at the time!

                I do my best not to wish ill of anybody, but I can't help wishing that
                stunt had earned them a place in the Darwin Awards. :-)

                Wolf
              • Oakes, George
                Message 7 of 26 , May 6 4:38 AM
                  All this talk of security is making me happy. I am an avid woodworker,
                  and a licensed Security guard, and have to deal with the populace a very
                  good portion of the day.

                  What burns me the most is that people take security, and crime for
                  granted. They don't lock their car doors, and wonder why someone would
                  steal their laptop out of their car? People leave their cars running
                  when they make a quick stop at a convenience store, and wonder why
                  someone would jump in their car and talk off, with their 6 month old
                  baby in the car seat! It's these kind of people that give thieves and
                  robbers an incentive to steal. The crooks know if they wait long enough
                  or look hard enough eventually they will come across a person not paying
                  attention, and not taking their own security into consideration, and the
                  crooks will pounce on the opportunity every time!

                  Security is paramount especially when we are talking expensive tools,
                  and such. Tools are probably the easiest thing to pawn and make money
                  from by far. Tools are also very easy to pick up and walk away with, and
                  because society does not question a man carrying a cirular saw, or drill
                  (they are probably going to work) most people don't think twice.

                  There are many things you can do to beef up security, and that is all
                  well and good. Another thing you should think about is marking your
                  tools, this way when the police get around to doing their job, and catch
                  the crooks, you can without a doubt prove that the stolen tools are
                  infact yours, and you will get them back. You can record serial numbers,
                  etch or inscribe your name, and phone number, and there is also a new
                  marking device that recently came out called Data Dots
                  http://www.datadotusa.com/index.htm these are easy to apply, virtualy
                  invisible dots immersed in a quick drying liquid that can be applied to
                  nearly any surface, and help to identify your items. Simply buy a Kit of
                  this stuff, register the ID number, (each kit contains dots all with the
                  same unique number.) Apply the dots to your tools, and items, and if
                  they ever become stolen a simple illumination of the item with a black
                  light will clue the police into the fact that dots are present, and a
                  simple 60x scope can be used to read the unique ID. (nice thing is most
                  crooks wont be looking for this, and only scratch of the serial number).

                  And finally in the world of security, the last thing you should do to
                  protect your assets, it to buy insurance. Most homeowners can get a
                  rider for stuff contained in a garage, or workshop, renters insurance
                  can also be a viable solution. Either way, insure your investment for
                  the peace of mind that if it ever does get stolen, you will be able to
                  replace the stolen items, and keep you out of the poor house :)

                  Peace
                  Gavin

                  ________________________________

                  --- "Rebecca A. Yaniv" <rivka-Y@... <mailto:rivka-Y%40telus.net> >

                  Message 8 of 26 , May 6 7:29 AM
                    I can't move.  It's at my Dad's, and it was his parents before him.  He won't leave it, and "shop night" is the highlight of his week.  I can't abandon him.

                    Will

                    Message 9 of 26 , May 6 7:31 AM
                      Not me - I wish Ill to thieves.  If it comes back on me threefold:  I'll cope, cheerfully, as I picture them getting what's coming to them.

                      Will

                      Message 10 of 26 , May 6 8:05 AM

                        Sounds to be a perfect time to introduce the shop dog, I still think a trusted animal defending “their” property is the best security though not perfect, they also make a great listening companion to the solo woodworker burning the midnight candles.

                        Domingos

                        Message 11 of 26 , May 6 8:12 AM
                          Yeah . . .  But I can't get over there often enough to properly take care of the dog, and I can't ask Dad to do it.  He's recovering from a stroke and both a little feeble, and forgetful.

                          I'm only over there 1 - 2 nights a week, due to my other obligations, and that's too long for a dog to stay alone, even if I worked up a doggy door and feeding station.

                          Will

                          Message 12 of 26 , May 6 8:16 AM
                            Dogs are great security devices, there keen sense of hearing and smells can easily alert you to the existance of people or things. They make great companions, and friends, our dog is our girls security blanket when they are out in the evening taking out the garbage, or other chores. And when they are home alone from school. Being 16 and 17, they stay home alone frequently and love to have the dog around for that extra layer of safety.

                            the drawback of animals as security devices are they require more upkeep and maintenance than cameras or locks, and doors, but they do provide companionship that the others dont.

                            I remember my mother had a Guard Goose in her front yard when we were kids (some 30 years ago). The goose would honk and make noise if someone came into the yard, and no one could get close to us kids except family when the goose was around. He would jump up and bite anyone who got to close to us.

                            I remember what a funny site it was when the UPS truck driver would pull up into the driveway, the Goose honking and making a fuss, and the UPS driver calling for our mother to get the goose so he could deliver the package. :)

                            Those were the days.....

                            but hey back then we could leave the doors unlocked and play in the woods, or at a neighboors without any worries.....

                            Message 13 of 26 , May 6 2:19 PM
                              same here.....

                              Message 14 of 26 , May 6 5:50 PM
                                I too have had to deal with security issues.

                                My first house was in a questionable neighborhood that was trying to be raised back up into the realm of being respectable (for those of you who know OKC, it was NW 15th & McKinley, back in the mid 1980s). I was living with my brother next door to the house I had purchased with the intent of restoring it after vandals had set a fire in the bathroom. Although my Dad and I had thought we had secured the place, someone broke in and stole all of the tools that we were using, including a chop saw. This should have told me to abandon the project. We managed to procure more tools and finish out the house, where I lived for the next five years. In that five years I was broken into three more times, not including the times that they broke into my brother's house and his garage, which was set between our houses.

                                The problem turned out to be a crack house two doors down from my brother's - the dealers weren't breaking in, it was their kids, who were apparently encouraged to do so. The garage was filled with bicycle parts that my Dad would use to restore bikes as a hobby. Once the kids saw what was in there, there was no way to keep them out. I got so disgusted with the situation that I nailed the door shut with 16 penny duplex nails, burying both heads into the wood. The very next morning I was awakened by the sound of pounding - the kids had kicked in the vent in the door, crawled in through the opening and were in the process of kicking the door open from the inside. Imagine the look of shock on their faces when the finally got the door open to find me standing in the way of their egress with a sword in hand, a few minutes later, my brother coming around the corner with his bow!

                                No harm came to the kids, but they got the crap rightly scared out of them and they never came back (when the dealers finally moved out a pile of bicycle parts five feet high was found in their living room - which the police confiscated for the police auction).

                                The thing that irritated me most about being broken into was the attitude of the police. Did you know that if you are a victim of robbery in OKC, you have to request a finger-printing unit? Otherwise they just stand around (once they finally get there) and fill out the report, then leave as soon as possible.

                                When my lady and I were married, we rented a house in a much better neighborhood, but the area I was using as a shop had French doors - a natural weak spot in any security plan. I purchased a pair of heavy steel brackets from the hardware store, installed them into the door frame with 4" screws and then barred the door with a 2" x 6". Eventually I screwed a piece of plywood to the top of the bar so that it could act as a shelf, since I rarely ever opened the door. No one ever broke into that house.

                                The simple fact is, a lock is only there to keep an honest person honest. If they have the intent of getting in, they will have the tools to do so, even if they had to steal them. Marking your tools is a good idea, but even engraved markings can be ground off. The chip idea is great, if you can afford it, but if the thieves know about it, it is a sure bet that they will know how to knock the chip off or crush it so it no longer works. I have found that good locks and bars work well - especially if you make a big deal out of carrying your swords, knives, crossbows, etc. into the house when you move in, and when you go to an event, archery practice, etc.. These sorts of weapons will repel thieves, whereas showing off your guns will merely encourage them to come in.
                              • Liedtke Goetz
                                Message 15 of 26 , May 6 8:16 PM
                                  Fortunately, despite my paranoid advice, I haven't needed that kind of
                                  security. I live in the lowest crime rate municipality in the state of
                                  New Mexico with a high cop-to-citizen ratio (mostly paid for by traffic
                                  tickets, unfortunately). I also live on a street that dead ends at the
                                  Rio Grande and doesn't appear on the main drag. We have quaint
                                  directions like "Turn on East Target, cross over the dirty ditch, turn
                                  right on the ditchbank, pass the big cottonwood and turn left after the
                                  adobe wall." In the 21 years I've lived here, the only thing we've
                                  ever had stolen were some cassette tapes from my wife's car. The next
                                  time our friend, the local cop, came by for coffee, she told him. He
                                  asked what artists were on the cassettes and after hearing the names
                                  said, "I know who would steal those." The tapes returned later that
                                  day.

                                  --- Conal O'hAirt Jim Hart <baronconal@...> wrote:

                                  > same here.....
                                  >
                                  > Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
                                  >
                                  > Aude Aliquid Dignum
                                  > ' Dare Something Worthy '

                                • Rebekah d'Avignon
                                  Message 16 of 26 , May 7 4:17 AM
                                    I remember somebody marketing "the electronic dog" some years back. It was a ceramic, metal, or plastic life-size dog (German Shepard, I think) that just sat inside the door. It had a microphone, a speaker, and some electronic gizmos in-between. At a sound (like a knock at the door) the microphone would trigger the electronics and the dog would start "barking" like a real dog. Someone may still be making them....or it wouldn't take much to put one together.

                                    Of course there was the single woman who left a note on her front door - "Honey, that damn snake of yours is loose again. Please put it back in its cage."

                                  • Rapier3971@aol.com
                                    Message 17 of 26 , May 7 6:01 AM
                                      Guys,
                                      I also live in a low crime area in a high end neighborhood, but still have a monitored alarm system. I have too many tools to take a chance. Face it, thieves don't steal in poor areas and is better to be protected than sorry. I also have two dogs , but they are family pets and I don't think they would do much if someone were to break in.
                                      Pepin

                                      Message 18 of 26 , May 7 9:23 AM
                                        One of the benefits of living in a small community.  I've got a friend who's the Public Defender in Sevier County.  If you get broken into up there, the sherrif knows who was in jail, who was already on the run and therefore out of town, who was at the barn dance, and that leaves Bubba.  Let's go check his shack.

                                        But that doesn't help me in the  big city of Knoxville.

                                        Will

                                        Fortunately, despite my paranoid advice, I haven't needed that kind of
                                        security. I live in the lowest crime rate municipality in the state of
                                        New Mexico with a high cop-to-citizen ratio (mostly paid for by traffic
                                        tickets, unfortunately) . I also live on a street that dead ends at the
                                        Rio Grande and doesn't appear on the main drag. We have quaint
                                        directions like "Turn on East Target, cross over the dirty ditch, turn
                                        right on the ditchbank, pass the big cottonwood and turn left after the
                                        adobe wall." In the 21 years I've lived here, the only thing we've
                                        ever had stolen were some cassette tapes from my wife's car. The next
                                        time our friend, the local cop, came by for coffee, she told him. He
                                        asked what artists were on the cassettes and after hearing the names
                                        said, "I know who would steal those." The tapes returned later that
                                        day.

                                        --- Conal O'hAirt Jim Hart <baronconal@yahoo. com> wrote:

                                        > same here.....
                                        >
                                        > Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim
                                        Hart

                                        AlbionWood <albionwood@wildblue .net>

                                        me glad of where I live. If I ever needed
                                        > that
                                        > kind of
                                        security, I think I'd move.

                                        > CHeers,
                                        > Tim

                                        Be a better friend, newshound, and
                                        > know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try
                                        it now.

                                        Be a better friend, newshound, and

                                        Message 19 of 26 , May 7 9:25 AM
                                          This was one of the bitterest disappointments to me.  There's nothing the law can do to help you if you don't have video or witnesses.

                                          They did send me a CSI, but we discovered something:  you can't fingerprint a woodshop.  Anything that isn't made of rough wood is covered in sawdust.

                                          It wouldn't take the fingerprint dust.

                                          Will

                                          The thing that irritated me most about being broken into was the attitude of the police. Did you know that if you are a victim of robbery in OKC, you have to request a finger-printing unit? Otherwise they just stand around (once they finally get there) and fill out the report, then leave as soon as possible.

                                          .

                                        • logan
                                          Message 20 of 26 , May 8 9:20 AM

                                            i have a digital picture of every power tool i own along with a picture of the plate on it with the serial number and model number.  i do this with all of my electronics, jewelry, firearms, and art.  i have it uploaded to my server so if i ever get broken into i can print off whatever i need to give to the police.  works far better than engraving numbers and takes only seconds to do.

                                            regards

                                            logan

                                            Message 21 of 26 , May 8 9:39 AM
                                              This is what we have done, as well. We also make a CD copy just in case. We
                                              have mostly done this with fire or storm damage in mind since we live in a rural
                                              area, but theft is not totally unheard of out here.

                                              Mir!
                                              ~Tatjana
                                              in rural Calontir

                                              "It's never too late to be what you might have been."

                                              Wolf and Tiger Woodworking has been updated! Take a look!
                                              http://www.wolfandtiger.com