Re: [MedievalSawdust] darker stains on white oak

  • leaking pen
    Message 1 of 9 , May 3, 2008
      oak will take iron walnut stain gorgeously. the natural stuff.

      --
      That which yields isn't always weak.
    • Jeff Johnson
      Message 2 of 9 , May 4, 2008
        Fuming. :)

        Message 3 of 9 , May 4, 2008
          I want to try fuming, but remember the time factor?

          I have the space now.... I'll do it as soon as I get a little farther
          along my commission list...

          > I've tried a couple of the 'darker' stain colors I have on hand on some
          > white oak.... Not a lot of variation and not as dark as I hoped...
          >
          > The Gel is from General Finishes
          > The other two are Minwax stains...
          >
          > I almost picked up the ebony today, then thought it would be
          > too dark....
          >
          > I really didn't want to have to apply multiple coats ( for the time
          > factor involved in that )
          >
          > Ideas? Comments? Thoughts?
          >

          > Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
          >
          > Aude Aliquid Dignum
          > ' Dare Something Worthy '

          > Be a better friend, newshound, and

        • Tracy Swanson
          Message 4 of 9 , May 4, 2008
            When trying to stain a light wood dark, especially a hard wood such as oak, I have found that standard stains work best when brushed on and allowed to dry - just make sure that the brush strokes look the way you like before you stop. Another method that I have used, especially when going with an unusual color, is to use aniline dyes. These non-grain raising colors come premixed and in powdered form in a rainbow of colors. The base is alcohol, which usually evaporates fast enough that the grain will not swell, at least not as much as water-based stains. I have found that you can just apply it until the area is covered, then come back over the dye with a rag loaded with isopropyl alcohol to even out the coverage and take it back down to the shade and intensity that you want. Because it is alcohol based, oil based finishes will not disturb it when applied. I have ebonized rock maple using this method (see the Wiesenfeuer crossbow in the Crossbow Project article posted on this site), as well as coloring one a royal blue. One word of warning: wear gloves when dealing with these dyes - unless you like having funky-colored hands!

            In Magical Service,
            Malaki
          • Hall, Hayward
            Message 5 of 9 , May 5, 2008

              Try fuming it with ammonia.  Otherwise it will always scream “I was stained”.

              Message 6 of 9 , May 7, 2008
                Want it dark-dark like the furniture in the museums? Oil it and wait
                400 years! :)

                <baronconal@...> wrote:

                > I've tried a couple of the 'darker' stain colors I have on hand on some
                > white oak.... Not a lot of variation and not as dark as I hoped...
                >
                > The Gel is from General Finishes
                > The other two are Minwax stains...
                >
                > I almost picked up the ebony today, then thought it would be
                > too dark....
                >
                > I really didn't want to have to apply multiple coats ( for the time
                > factor involved in that )
                >
                > Ideas? Comments? Thoughts?
                >

                > Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
                >
                > Aude Aliquid Dignum
                > ' Dare Something Worthy '

              • Jeff Johnson
                Message 7 of 9 , May 7, 2008
                  Sorry, didn't recall there being a time factor aspect. I wasn't trying
                  to be annoying. I'm just an enthusiast on the topic.

                  Jeff/Geoff

                  Message 8 of 9 , May 8, 2008
                    It was for a commission and I was trying to get what I understood
                    the customer wanted....

                    But I finally did that... General Finish's Antique Cherry Waterbased.

                    He likes it, I like it.... but not as much as I like the color of the oak with
                    just a clear oil finish....