Anyone Out There?

  • Barbara Dodge
    Message 1 of 19 , Apr 25, 2008

      I haven’t received any new messages from this list in several days.  Has everyone gone on vacation, have I been booted off, or is MS Vista the culprit?

      Felicia

    • jentien@aol.com
      Message 2 of 19 , Apr 25, 2008
        No, not booted off.......:)

        Jentien

        I haven’t received any new messages from this list in several days.  Has everyone gone on vacation, have I been booted off, or is MS Vista the culprit?

        Felicia
      • julian wilson
        Message 3 of 19 , Apr 25, 2008

          Maybe everyone is beavering away in their home workshops on projects, now that the evenings are getting lighter? I know I've got several items I want to get finished for Viceroy Tourney, Summer Coronation'15yr Anniversary, and Winchester Pilgrimage III  in Insulæ Draconis, Drachenwald, - later this year.

          Matthew Baker

          Message 4 of 19 , Apr 25, 2008
            I just finished 6 folding seats for an event this weekend. Then I have one in May and July with two in September. This is getting to be the busy time of year.

            RdA
            Tools alone do not a craftsman make.

            Message 5 of 19 , Apr 25, 2008
              I've been busy running wire for more lights and
              power outlets in the shop....

              White goes to silver...Black goes to brass bare wire isn the ground....

              Glad I got the deeper sized boxes.... more space...

              ramble, ramble, ramble...and ramble....

              I haven’t received any new messages from this list in several days.  Has everyone gone on vacation, have I been booted off, or is MS Vista the culprit?

              Felicia

            • Eric
              Message 6 of 19 , Apr 25, 2008
                Felicia,

                We were all waiting for you to post something, it was your turn. :)

                Eirikr

                --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Barbara Dodge" <awench1@...>
                wrote:

                > I haven't received any new messages from this list in several days.
                Has
                > everyone gone on vacation, have I been booted off, or is MS Vista the
                > culprit?
                >

                > Felicia

              • julian wilson
                Message 7 of 19 , Apr 25, 2008

                  Ooooh, who's been reading "The Elenium", then !

                  Matthew Baker

                  --- On Sat, 26/4/08, Eric <ewdysar@...> wrote:

                  Felicia,

                  We were all waiting for you to post something, it was your turn. :)

                  Eirikr

                  .

                • James W. Pratt, Jr.
                  Message 8 of 19 , Apr 25, 2008

                    Does pealing the bark on nine foot black locust poles and sticking them 4 feet in the ground count as beavering?

                    James Cunningham

                    Trying to keep the cattle on my own property

                  • Liedtke Goetz
                    Message 9 of 19 , Apr 25, 2008
                      --- "James W. Pratt, Jr." <cunning@...> wrote:

                      > Does pealing the bark on nine foot black locust poles and sticking
                      > them 4
                      > feet in the ground count as beavering?

                      Only if you're eating the bark. Otherwise it sounds like work.

                      Götz

                      Be a better friend, newshound, and
                    • Jim Looper
                      Message 10 of 19 , Apr 26, 2008
                        That reminds me... I've got to run new 220 circuits in my Laurel's workshop.

                        I've been working on folding tables and that neat "flip-back" box-bench/couch. Also been working on bucklers for my fencing students, a small one person "gator boats" boat (for me and my 5 year old son), and rebuilding a 1972 Sears-Roebuck air compressor for my shop (now all I need is a belt to fit it).

                        Lucien

                        Message 11 of 19 , Apr 26, 2008

                          By David Eddings?

                          Years ago...

                          Lucien

                          Message 12 of 19 , Apr 26, 2008

                            Yes!

                            One of Prince Sparhawk's Pandion Knights is the Camp Organiser, and uses that trick to allocate the cooking duties while they are travelling light. As in -

                            "I'm hungry. Whose turn is it to cook tonight?"

                            "Yours!"

                            Matthew Baker

                            Message 13 of 19 , Apr 26, 2008
                              loved that one....

                              also liked the scene with the long range crossbow shot...

                              The shooter fires and then turns to leave before the bolt hits his target.
                              When questioned he replies something along the line of "why watch
                              when I know I hit the target?"

                              Message 14 of 19 , Apr 26, 2008

                                Ah crap... Now I cannot remember his name. There was Sparhawk, Kurik (not a knight), Kalten, Bevier (sp?), Flute (Aphrael), Sephrenia, and the last two. I cannot remember their names, but the one that kept pulling the cooking trick was a Gendien (sp) with the Ogre horned helm...

                                L~

                                Message 15 of 19 , Apr 26, 2008
                                  Kurik's son, cannot remember his name either.

                                  I got into Eddings work in the Navy. Not much to do except read during a six month cruise...

                                  L~

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Apr 26, 2008

                                    yes, the Eddings' works are full of dry humour. I think I've got all their books in my  library somewhere. Now I wonder if David or Leigh or both were SCA or Adrian Empire members or something similar. They seem so well briefed on the gear and techniques of medieval military warfare. Far more so than most military, alternate-world, historical Fantasy writers.

                                    Matthew Baker

                                    Message 17 of 19 , Apr 26, 2008

                                      Now you've got me thinking - and I haven't re-read any of those 2 series recently. Of, course there were THREE orders of Church Knights, not just the Pandions. I MUST re-read the Elenium and the Tamuli.

                                      Note to self - add to the "to-do" List.

                                      [grins.]

                                      Matthew baker

                                      Message 18 of 19 , Apr 26, 2008

                                        Actually, four total: Pandion, Genidian, Cyrinic, and Alcione.

                                        I finally remembered the name of the knight who was playing the cooking trick: Ulath.

                                        Sheesh... Am I a geek or what?

                                        L~

                                        Message 19 of 19 , Apr 26, 2008
                                          Felicia wrote:

                                          > I haven't received any new messages from this list in several days. Has
                                          > everyone gone on vacation, have I been booted off, or is MS Vista the
                                          > culprit?

                                          I've been doing stuff: making a mock-up in poplar of the Frauenmunster
                                          folding chair, a mandolin, a lute-like instrument, stuff like that.

                                          In between looking for a runaway cat ...

                                          Johann von Drachenfels
                                          West Kingdom