Re: [MedievalSawdust] Online Wood Suppliers

  • Michael Houghton
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 21, 2008
      Howdy!

      On Apr 18, 2008, at 8:41 AM, Jason Lewis wrote:
      > Does anyone have a list of online suppliers for the woods they use in
      > their projects? I am looking for some suppliers of a good variety
      > (Oak, Walnut, Cherry as well as things like Lemonwood, Purpleheart,
      > and Bloodwood). If anyone has some ideas please throw them out, I am
      > pretty new to woodworking and finding suppliers is proving to be more
      > difficult then I originally thought.

      I needed some hardwood dowels in something better than poplar and
      sized something close to the claimed diameter. You can't reliably
      do that at the big box stores.

      I found Atlas Dowel *and mumble* online. They claim their dowels are
      plus/minus .010". I'm happy with the hickory dowels I got. They have
      a variety of North American hardwoods, plus a couple of more exotic
      species.

      yours,
      Herveus
      herveus@... | White Wolf and the Phoenix narrowwares
      Bowie, MD, USA | http://whitewolfandphoenix.com
      Proud member of the SCA Internet Whitewash Squad
    • Ralph Lindberg
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 22, 2008
        --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Lewis"
        <jason.lewis@...> wrote:

        > Does anyone have a list of online suppliers for the woods they use in
        > their projects?

        Adhemar, you've had some great advise; Penn is run by some great folk
        and they sell good wood. Ebay can also be a good source, but it can
        also be a place to be taken. Look at this page
        (http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/) for info on how a
        few dealers doctor their photos.

        A place that should be mentioned is Wood Finder
        (http://www.woodfinder.com/). They are not a source, but rather a
        listing of sources.

        In general, local sources will save you money on all but the smallest
        or largest of orders. Shipping is a killer.

        If The Woodworking Show comes to your area, check to see if any wood
        suppliers come (Cook Woods comes to the ones in the PNW).

        TTFN
        Ralg
        An Tir