Re: [MedievalSawdust] A thought on wood

  • kjworz@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 18, 2008
      Good point about the warpage. I don't run into that as much because I tend to surface all side, but that would be a worry, true. It might work out. Now I want to experiment with a surfaced side untouched front, two very surfaced sides, and a surfaced side and a light smoothplane side, to see if I get a big difference.

      And I only suggested the planed side in on the assumption that a beginner would be doing it and their first planing effort, with simulated scrub planing, followed by unpracticed smoothing, would look a little rough. I whole heartedly encourage anyone that does get a nice surface with their first planing attempt to show it off to the world! And by the 3rd chest even in a rank beginner would be seeing some pleasing results from their effort.

      Keep that blade sharp!

      --
      -Chris Schwartz
      Silver Spring, MD

      From: AlbionWood <albionwood@...>

      Planing off only one side of a kiln-dried 1x12 is likely to cause warping. In general it is good practice to take off approximately equal amounts of wood from each side of a board.

      As you say, handplaning the surface is one great way to make a board look more authentically medieval - so why would you then put that surface, on which you have lavished so much effort, on the inside of a chest where it will hardly ever be seen?