RE: [MedievalSawdust] Re: Research Help

  • Trevor Payne
    Message 1 of 31 , Apr 14, 2008
      Actually the way we lay out the pieces, we get 2 full chairs per 1 sheet of 4x8, .75" plywood.

      The arm rests are simple cut down 2x4s with a .75" x 1.5" notch cut into them and then glued and doweled onto the chair arms.

      A nice side effect of this is that with the .75" offset the arms create, you can stack the chairs flat by putting the seat and back in between the to offset sides.

      Aiden

      julian wilson <smnco37@...> wrote:
      Aiden,
       I've just had a look at that photo-file, and that's an interesting variation on this "basic-design- family". I presume that you still get one chair per  8ftx4ft sheet of 3/4inch plywood?
      I like the slip-on arms you've included,
       When I built my first two examples from the basic design, additional arems from 3"x1.5" stock were the fecond variation I included, after one outing with the original itmes, I found the top of the ply sides was really uncomfortable against my arms [tops too thin and digging uncomfortably into the flesh of my forearms], - so I routed-out "interference- fit" grooves in 4 sections of the above-dimensioned stock, router-detailed the exposed edges, - and they clip over the plywood edges, kept in place by friction.

      Matthew Baker,
      dwelling in "old" Jersey