Re: Want to start turning, what do you think of this lathe?

  • Eric Hess
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 5, 2008
      If you're looking for a good beginner lathe, I'd recommend the Rikon
      (if you can find one right now). It is right around $250, you can get
      a bed extension for it, and it is a 3/4 HP motor. I have one and it is
      a great little machine. They've been so popular, Woodcraft can't keep
      them in stock, I don't know if other vendors are having the same
      problem, I assume they are. For ease of use and features, I like it
      much better than the Delta or Jet equivalents.

      Eric Hess
    • Baron Otto
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 5, 2008
        Message
        I picked up one for Harbor Freight that looked to be the same lathe.
        It was somewhat limited, but was a good beginner's lathe. I had mine for about 3 years before I upgraded to a Jet

        You'll also want to pick up a chuck like the one they sell on this page if you are going to do bowl turning.

        Otto

        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 6, 2008
          >This lathe is on sale, and it says it would be good for beginners,
          >but I know nothing, so I am asking :)
          >
          >I would like to make a finial for my pavillion pole, pins for
          >throwing game targets, and balls for bocce. Other projects might
          >eventually appeal, but those are the ones I am most keen on.
          >
          >Any feedback would be greatly appriciated,
          >
          >Eric

          The thing about that lathe that rings alarm bells in my head is the
          tail stock. There just doesn't appear to be enough meat on it to do
          anything serious or precise. I think having big numbers in the specs
          (like swing and bed length) trumped other more important design
          considerations.

          I used to have a lathe that vibrated horribly so I rarely used it. My
          wife wanted to start playing with the lathe so two Christmases ago I
          got my wife a relatively well made Chinese knock-off of Jet's very well
          made mini-lathe. While I spent more on the one I got (right now
          Rockler is asking about $200 but it was a year and a half ago and on
          sale) than they're asking for the one you're looking at, I doubt I will
          ever find it so inadequate for my needs that I have to replace it. I
          can't say the same for my first table saw.

          Avery
        • Ralph Lindberg
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 6, 2008
            --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Eric Mason" <kericmason@...>
            wrote:

            > Hi everyone,
            >
            > I have never turned before, but I am hoping to eventually take a
            > class.
            >
            > http://busybeetools.ca/cgi-bin/picture10?
            > &NETID=1429550404081837689&NTITEM=CT083
            >
            > This lathe is on sale, and it says it would be good for beginners,
            > but I know nothing, so I am asking :)

            As Finnr noted, this is a TUBE lathe, generally excepted to sux.

            If I were to go with a Busybee, I would look at B2338

            Unfortunately every alternative lathe proposed, is sourced from US
            firms. What you need is a Canadian source for a reasonable lathe.

            If I were starting out (again), I would also look at a General Tool
            (http://www.general.ca). I rather like the 25-100 or 25-200.

            Some words of general truth. The lathe generally costs less then 1/2
            of what you end up spending, between chisels, chucks, centers, etc,
            etc, etc. I think this is still true for me, even though my lathe cost
            is currently setting about $3000. But then I have become a spinning
            nut (it's called the vortex for a reason).

            Make certain the lathe you buy is "standard" that it has standard
            MorseTaper (usually#2) and the head-stock spindle is 1x8. There are
            other "standard" sizes, but usually only found on more expensive
            lathes (ie $1K and up)

            If you end up spending serious money, consider the Nova 1624-44
            (around $1K). Order it from Bob Gadd at KMS Tools in BC

            TTFN
            Ralg
            AnTir

            (For those that don't know BusyBee is owned by the brother of the
            owner of Grizzly Tools. Unfortunately they have agreements not to sell
            across the border, so those north can't get Grizzly, only Busybee, and
            Grizzly IMO, has turned out to be the better business)
          • Ralph Lindberg
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 7, 2008
              wrote:

              > Hi everyone,
              >
              > I have never turned before, but I am hoping to eventually take a
              > class.

              Eric, for that I suggest you contact your local chapter of the AAW
              (http://www.woodturner.org/community/chapters/), almost every one of
              them has a Mentor program, or can refer you to someone qualified to
              teach turning.

              For a great book, look at "WoodTurning, A Foundation Course" by Keith
              Rowley.
              (http://www.amazon.ca/Woodturning-Foundation-Course-Keith-Rowley/dp/1861081146/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1207617893&sr=8-1)

              When Amazon.CA wants $22 and Amazon.com wants $13.51 is a why I almost
              never buy books while I am here in Canada.

              TTFN
              Ralg
              AnTir
            • Eric Mason
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 8, 2008
                Gack!

                Well, it looks like my plans have been turned on their ear. My
                project was pulled, and our whole team was just laid off! So the
                lathe is now on hold.

                I'd kinda hoped for an inexpensive "good enough" lathe. I am a
                generalist, so I don't anticipate doing a lot of turning. If that
                means $300 lathes, I'll budget for it when I find another job.

                I'll have a look at one of the stores that stocks the Canadian built
                lathes.

                Thanks,

                Eric

                --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Ralph Lindberg" <n7bsn@...>
                wrote:

                > --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Eric Mason" <kericmason@>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > Hi everyone,
                > >
                > > I have never turned before, but I am hoping to eventually take a
                > > class.
                > >
                > > http://busybeetools.ca/cgi-bin/picture10?
                > > &NETID=1429550404081837689&NTITEM=CT083
                > >
                > > This lathe is on sale, and it says it would be good for beginners,
                > > but I know nothing, so I am asking :)
                > >
                > As Finnr noted, this is a TUBE lathe, generally excepted to sux.
                >
                > If I were to go with a Busybee, I would look at B2338
                >
                > Unfortunately every alternative lathe proposed, is sourced from US
                > firms. What you need is a Canadian source for a reasonable lathe.
                >
                > If I were starting out (again), I would also look at a General Tool
                > (http://www.general.ca). I rather like the 25-100 or 25-200.
                >
                > Some words of general truth. The lathe generally costs less then 1/2
                > of what you end up spending, between chisels, chucks, centers, etc,
                > etc, etc. I think this is still true for me, even though my lathe cost
                > is currently setting about $3000. But then I have become a spinning
                > nut (it's called the vortex for a reason).
                >
                > Make certain the lathe you buy is "standard" that it has standard
                > MorseTaper (usually#2) and the head-stock spindle is 1x8. There are
                > other "standard" sizes, but usually only found on more expensive
                > lathes (ie $1K and up)
                >
                > If you end up spending serious money, consider the Nova 1624-44
                > (around $1K). Order it from Bob Gadd at KMS Tools in BC
                >
                > TTFN
                > Ralg
                > AnTir
                >
                > (For those that don't know BusyBee is owned by the brother of the
                > owner of Grizzly Tools. Unfortunately they have agreements not to sell
                > across the border, so those north can't get Grizzly, only Busybee, and
                > Grizzly IMO, has turned out to be the better business)

              • maeryk
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 10, 2008
                  wrote:

                  > --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Eric Mason" <kericmason@>
                  > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hi everyone,
                  > >
                  > > I have never turned before, but I am hoping to eventually take a
                  > > class.

                  FWIW, Woodcraft usually hosts turning classes. You don't _really_ need
                  them.. I recommend the foundations book already mentioned, and any of
                  the Lacer skew books/videos, and if you want to make bowls, find
                  "Turned bowls made easy" (video)by Bill Grumbine (heck of a nice guy,
                  in every conceivable way).

                  You _can_ teach yourself, but read the books thoroughly. Richard
                  Raffan's books are very good as well.. but avoid his videos till you
                  have made some stuff. He does things so very fast that it's
                  disheartening till you learn what you are doing. :)

                  Have fun, make chips!

                  maeryk
                • Ralph Lindberg
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 11, 2008
                    --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "maeryk" <maeryk@...> wrote:

                    > FWIW, Woodcraft usually hosts turning classes. You don't _really_ need
                    > them.. I recommend the foundations book already mentioned, and any of
                    > the Lacer skew books/videos, and if you want to make bowls, find
                    > "Turned bowls made easy" (video)by Bill Grumbine (heck of a nice guy,
                    > in every conceivable way).
                    >
                    > You _can_ teach yourself, but read the books thoroughly. Richard
                    > Raffan's books are very good as well.. but avoid his videos till you
                    > have made some stuff. He does things so very fast that it's
                    > disheartening till you learn what you are doing. :)
                    >
                    > Have fun, make chips!

                    Maeryk, good advice, other then the bit about Woodcraft. The original
                    questioner lives in Canada, and the only Woodcraft I know there is a
                    furniture store (and unrelated to the US firm).

                    Alan is great (if you ever get a chance to actually watch him use a
                    Skew, do so), Bill's video's are solid (and he is a nice guy) and
                    Richard is AMAZING at any time, his books are great and his videos are
                    also. He is currently working on an update for his book on Design of
                    Turned Objects.

                    Ralg (also a member of the AAW, and the local chapter)
                    AnTir
                  • leaking pen
                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 11, 2008
                      well, everyone is still acting as ive the loonie is only worth 70
                      cents, instead of par.

                      --
                      That which yields isn't always weak.
                    • Ralph Lindberg
                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 11, 2008
                        --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "leaking pen" <itsatrap@...>
                        wrote:

                        > well, everyone is still acting as ive the loonie is only worth 70
                        > cents, instead of par.

                        No kidding, I really miss those days... I could by tools/tooling in
                        Canada for a fraction of the US cost (Oneway, General, even New
                        Zealand or Oz sourced)

                        TTFN
                        Ralg (back south)
                        AnTir