RE: [MedievalSawdust] Glastonbury Chair plans

  • James Winkler
    Message 1 of 69 , Apr 4, 2008

      Although I can’t prove it… I’ve always had a sneaking suspicion that our medieval forebears labored under the same motivations that we do today… not the least among them is the “ain’t this cool” motivation.    Pragmatic ‘need’ wasn’t, in my opinon, the most driving element of design.

      Standing out from the crowd…  selling features…  market forces that make one product viable and another fail...  trendy things…  fashion…   all these things factored into design along side of the more conservative elements of tradition, utilitarianism, etc.   … and, if you’re one of the financial elite, having something that is just ‘way cool’ and exotic (say… a folding chair)…  can have value beyond financial just in possessing it.  (… and that, of course, will inspire the Smith’s to attempt to keep up with the Jone’s)…   a study of costuming fashion shows that many things would come into popularity in one “admired culture” somewhere in the world and then be emulated in lesser able portions of the world… pretty much as soon as they are able…

      The roots of folding chairs though go back far beyond the medieval context.  The romans had a version of the fauldstood (with what appears to be a cloth seat rather than a interleaved wooden slats) that shows up on a stella in the 1st century.   Folding stools go back somewhere before 1400 BC.   If you really wanna’ see something that ranks high in the “what the heck were they thinking” department, check out the “Throne of Dagobert”…  a really cool folding bronze throne!!!  (3th-9th century).

      Personally I think both the Savonaroloa chair and the Glastonbury chairs are just natural extrapolations from a couple thousand years of chair evolution…

      It’s a bit pricy… but if you’re really interested in the evolution of folding chairs… see if you can find a copy of “Sella Curulis: The Folding Chair” by Ole Wanscher.  It was published in 1980 in Denmark…  ISBN 8742303370

      Tim, you wrote

      SNIPThe convenience of a quickly folding chair seems modern to me; I cannot figure out what medieval need would have been filled by such a contrivance. ENDIT  <<

      I don't disagree with your thought - but where does this leave the Savonarola Chair design? AFAIK, this folds, and IS medieval in origin?

      dwelling in "old" Jersey

    • logan
      Message 69 of 69 , Apr 21, 2008

        unfortunately those days seem to be gone.  my first two reigns were 11 years ago, then i did two 5 years ago, and i just stepped down from my fifth last month and i can tell you first hand that the progression to a day of people filling in “checklists” and doing things just to get noticed has been steady.  it a shameful thing and more people are just after cookies than those just trying to make, or do, stuff because it creates a better atmosphere.  hopefully it will come full circle and go back to the way it used to be.

        on a related note, someone i had made a hanging shield for about 7 years ago just returned to atlantia.  the shield i made for her is about 20” tall and was made to hang from a wrought iron hanger outside her pavilion.   the parts of her arms were all cut out from 1/8” luan and glued to the front (sort of a 3d look) and everything painted.  her arms have a lot of white in them and i was afraid to use any kind of poly to protect the piece because of the yellowing problem.  no fun having a white field turn into an amber one.  so i used a product by behr called “crystal clear” water based polyurethane.  i must say i was greatly pleased with its condition 7 years and hundreds of hours in the sun later.  the white is still white and there are no signs of the finish failing.  has anyone else used this product?  has anyone else found something low gloss that wont yellow and doesn’t cost an arm and a leg (like the behr product does)?

        "If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared"

        Niccolo Machiavelli