Re: Archery, bowmaking and fletching

  • Bob Nelson
    Message 1 of 22 , Apr 4, 2008
      Can you provide any info on how to make an English
      long-bow, as they were made in medieval times?

      To start with, just how long were they?
      What kind of arrows (and heads) did they shoot?
      What kind of wood was used ( I have heard it was
      always from the Yew tree, but don't really know for
      sure)?
      What was the typical draw length?

      Isaac Asimov wrote a brief history of two battles
      the English had with the French, where the out-
      numbered English completely annihilated an
      entire generation of French knights (on French
      soil), and then did it again about 75 years
      later after the French had forgotten how deadly
      the longbow was. The French did not have the
      longbow because they were unwilling to follow
      the English example of establishing an entire
      new "middle-class)" (between nobles and laborers)
      to man the longbow. It is fascinating history.

      But just what were the characteristics of the
      genuine longbow? There must still be some on
      exhibit in English museums, I would think.

      Cheers - Bob Nelson
    • leaking pen
      Message 2 of 22 , Apr 4, 2008
        Most everyone ive seen with stands up that are limited in scope to
        just what they make themselves will have pieces they are working on.
        If nothing else, it helps draw in customers. Also, haveing ran other
        stand up shops before elsewhere, you will have busy times, and you
        will have slack times. Having something to do during slack is
        probably very very good.

        --
        That which yields isn't always weak.