Re: Archery, bowmaking and fletching

  • Richard C
    Message 1 of 22 , Apr 4 8:57 AM
      Hello to a fellow boyer. If you are serious about making bows there is
      a series called the traditional boyer's bible by Bois D'arc press.
      These 3 book will take you step by step into the world of bows arrows
      and tackle. Now it is time to ask yourself how nuts are you? Myself am
      quite mental as I hand make my bows %100 by hand using old antique
      tools. Some things to consider as well. If you are making bows for
      war, OVERBUILD them. If your client says they want a bow that is 27
      inches draw length make it pull to about 30+ as many Archery Marshals
      do not understand that a good wood bow is 9/10th broken, meaning the
      bow when pulled to its draw is set for that draw and may break or be
      damaged if pulled past it.
      Is the client a compound shooter? If so remind them a wood bow has no
      let off and they have to retrain music memory to have an even pull,
      not a quick jerk to break the letoff. If you pull a wood bow fast the
      wood may not have enough time to react and my break.
      Most any wood will make a bow. I made a bow out of douglas fir on a
      bet. Belive it or not a flat bow is period and works well in any wood.
      A "D" bow is limited to select woods, yew, osage maple and hickory are
      the best for this.
      As to fletching thats a different can o worms. Do you want period as
      in tied to the shaft or is gluing what your going for? I tie my arrows
      and have learned to not use a jig.
      If you want to talk more about this Email me brassbow@...
      Carvin Asche
      in mundamia aka Richard Cunningham
    • Bob Nelson
      Message 2 of 22 , Apr 4 9:43 AM
        Can you provide any info on how to make an English
        long-bow, as they were made in medieval times?

        To start with, just how long were they?
        What kind of arrows (and heads) did they shoot?
        What kind of wood was used ( I have heard it was
        always from the Yew tree, but don't really know for
        sure)?
        What was the typical draw length?

        Isaac Asimov wrote a brief history of two battles
        the English had with the French, where the out-
        numbered English completely annihilated an
        entire generation of French knights (on French
        soil), and then did it again about 75 years
        later after the French had forgotten how deadly
        the longbow was. The French did not have the
        longbow because they were unwilling to follow
        the English example of establishing an entire
        new "middle-class)" (between nobles and laborers)
        to man the longbow. It is fascinating history.

        But just what were the characteristics of the
        genuine longbow? There must still be some on
        exhibit in English museums, I would think.

        Cheers - Bob Nelson
      • leaking pen
        Message 3 of 22 , Apr 4 11:57 AM
          Most everyone ive seen with stands up that are limited in scope to
          just what they make themselves will have pieces they are working on.
          If nothing else, it helps draw in customers. Also, haveing ran other
          stand up shops before elsewhere, you will have busy times, and you
          will have slack times. Having something to do during slack is
          probably very very good.

          --
          That which yields isn't always weak.