Re: [MedievalSawdust] Glastonbury Chair plans

  • AlbionWood
    Message 1 of 69 , Apr 4, 2008
      Brusi, this is an interesting theory, but: I'm not sure what you mean by "most of the surviving arms" as (AFAIK) there is only one chair that has the notches you describe.  The Thorne chair (the only one that can really be called a "Glastonbury chair") does not have them, nor do any of the other chairs documented on my Web page.  The only example with the notch is probably 17th century.  Therefore I would conclude the opposite - that perhaps someone in the c17 adapted the older design in such a way as to make it (partially?) fold, for whatever reason.

      I also can't quite picture what you mean by oval holes for the connecting pegs (dowels?), but will wait a drawing or example.  In any case if the seat and back are in line, then the chair cannot fold together, it can only fold out; and there are still the legs to contend with, so I cannot see how this offers any real advantage over dismantling.

      The convenience of a quickly folding chair seems modern to me; I cannot figure out what medieval need would have been filled by such a contrivance.  The school chairs you describe are well known here too, and are extremely useful for quickly providing seating for large numbers of people, and then folding up for storage awaiting the next use.  What would be the period equivalent for such use?  Chairs in the Middle Ages were not typically provided for the convenience of ordinary folk; nor did people come home from work on Friday, pack their belongings into a small car, drive hours to a site, set up camp, and then break the whole thing down after a day or two...  I also dispute the clam that these chairs mimic the "Glastonbury" style; the only similarity is the crossed legs, which of course are common to a variety of ancient and modern seating styles.

      Cheers,
      Tim

      Bruce S. R. Lee wrote:
      I'm of the opinion that the 'Glastonbury' chairs that survive today
      ARE descended from a 'folding' chair - one that folds flat, but
      taller than the unfolded chair. I think the main clue to this is the
      otherwise un-needed notch in the underside of most of the surviving
      arms. If some of the holes for the connection 'pegs' are made oval,
      then the seat and back can be made to form a single line & the peg
      that holds the seat to the back fits into the notch in the arm.

      If all that is desired is a fixed chair then the oval holes become
      surplus, and oval-ed holes, seen in isolation would just look like
      fair wear & tear, and so would be left out of any subsequent repairs
      or copies. One of these days I'll get round to making one & then drawing it up.

      As an aside, if the arms are left off altogether, there is a modern
      style of folding chair that almost exactly mimics the 'Glastonbury'
      style - we had several hundred at my old high school. The top of the
      back and the front of the seat are pushed towards each other,
      flipping on their pivots to the side 'X' frame, and the whole thing fold flat.

      regards
      Brusi of Orkney

    • logan
      Message 69 of 69 , Apr 21, 2008

        unfortunately those days seem to be gone.  my first two reigns were 11 years ago, then i did two 5 years ago, and i just stepped down from my fifth last month and i can tell you first hand that the progression to a day of people filling in “checklists” and doing things just to get noticed has been steady.  it a shameful thing and more people are just after cookies than those just trying to make, or do, stuff because it creates a better atmosphere.  hopefully it will come full circle and go back to the way it used to be.

        on a related note, someone i had made a hanging shield for about 7 years ago just returned to atlantia.  the shield i made for her is about 20” tall and was made to hang from a wrought iron hanger outside her pavilion.   the parts of her arms were all cut out from 1/8” luan and glued to the front (sort of a 3d look) and everything painted.  her arms have a lot of white in them and i was afraid to use any kind of poly to protect the piece because of the yellowing problem.  no fun having a white field turn into an amber one.  so i used a product by behr called “crystal clear” water based polyurethane.  i must say i was greatly pleased with its condition 7 years and hundreds of hours in the sun later.  the white is still white and there are no signs of the finish failing.  has anyone else used this product?  has anyone else found something low gloss that wont yellow and doesn’t cost an arm and a leg (like the behr product does)?

        regards

        logan

        "If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared"

        Niccolo Machiavelli

        www.ebonwoulfe.com