Tables used by the viking age peoples

  • Thorolfr inn smithr
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 2 1:34 PM
      Does anyone have information about the tables that that viking age
      people would have used. I'm looking for sizes, methods of construction,
      etc.

      I've seen the Sala Hytta table/stool but I am wondering about larger tables.

      Many thanks for your help
      -Thorolfr
    • Eric
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 2 5:29 PM
        Thorolfr,

        You can check the archives, but I have yet to see any references for
        regular tables before the stave church (Christian) Viking era.

        I believe that the early Viking culture didn't typically sit around
        with tables and chairs (mostly because there are very few extant
        tables or chairs)like the later Europeans. But this is not unheard of
        even today. Some cultures spend more time sitting on the ground a
        working with low tables or just a plank to put their stuff on.

        If you're doing early (10c) Viking and you've got an A frame tent, you
        are aware of how little standing space is available for the size of
        the tent footprint. Try sitting on the floor, and the space gets much
        bigger. Outside our sleeping tent, my camp uses large pillows and a
        variety of 6 board chests for our living area, it's comfortable and
        the chests are storage, sitting space or table space, depending on our
        current needs. A couple of Lund stools rounds out most of our living
        space Viking furniture.

        If you do come across any extant examples or references that
        support "modern" tables in the early Viking culture, please post it,
        there are many people that would like an answer to this question.

        In Service to the Dream,
        Eirikr Mjoksiglandi
        Ashgrove, Barony of Angels, Caid

        --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Thorolfr inn smithr