Re:Odd period question

  • MJ/CM
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 1, 2008
      The short answer is 'no'. The long answer isn't any different, but takes longer to say.  That specific type of corporal punishment was usually carried out with the bare hand or belt. If more leverage was called for, a thin branch or thick reed was commonly used. Basically, anything that was at hand would do. Rope was a favorite later in period.  In monastic orders, they would require the punished to administer  his own punishment, usually with reeds. I have seen no evidence where the object used would have been worn habitually, except by self-flagellates, any they would use treated rope or reed. Hope this answers your question.

      Corwyn

    • leaking pen
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 1, 2008
        It does, and was what i thought. Thanks.

        --
        That which yields isn't always weak.
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 1, 2008

          I seem to recall that at some cloistered communities, the populace was obliged to participate in the corporal punishment.  Kind of like forming a “gauntlet” on ships in later periods.  But I don’t recall where I read it, so take that with a large grain of salt.

          Will