Re: [MedievalSawdust] need advice

  • Rapier3971@aol.com
    Message 1 of 69 , Mar 27, 2008
      Lucien,
      I don't have a web site at this time. I get must of my lead from word of mouth and from a couple of home shows a year. But, it is in the planning for the near future. I don't want to get too big too fast, I like it as it is now, it has been profitable and manageable and allows me to maintain my primary job.
      Pepin

      Message 69 of 69 , Apr 21, 2008

        unfortunately those days seem to be gone.  my first two reigns were 11 years ago, then i did two 5 years ago, and i just stepped down from my fifth last month and i can tell you first hand that the progression to a day of people filling in “checklists” and doing things just to get noticed has been steady.  it a shameful thing and more people are just after cookies than those just trying to make, or do, stuff because it creates a better atmosphere.  hopefully it will come full circle and go back to the way it used to be.

        on a related note, someone i had made a hanging shield for about 7 years ago just returned to atlantia.  the shield i made for her is about 20” tall and was made to hang from a wrought iron hanger outside her pavilion.   the parts of her arms were all cut out from 1/8” luan and glued to the front (sort of a 3d look) and everything painted.  her arms have a lot of white in them and i was afraid to use any kind of poly to protect the piece because of the yellowing problem.  no fun having a white field turn into an amber one.  so i used a product by behr called “crystal clear” water based polyurethane.  i must say i was greatly pleased with its condition 7 years and hundreds of hours in the sun later.  the white is still white and there are no signs of the finish failing.  has anyone else used this product?  has anyone else found something low gloss that wont yellow and doesn’t cost an arm and a leg (like the behr product does)?

        regards

        logan

        "If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared"

        Niccolo Machiavelli

        www.ebonwoulfe.com