need advice

  • Jacques L. Roch
    Message 1 of 69 , Mar 26, 2008
      hiya all

      my name is jacques, and i am a woodaholic (everyone respond "hi,
      jacques"...). seriously, i am. and i have a problem. i make boxes of
      assorted types. i am reeeeaaaally happy when i am in my woodshop. so,
      what's the problem?
      i want to earn a living at it. not tons of money, just enough to
      keep all those who seem to think that my money rightfully belongs to
      them, such as the power company, phone company, etc moderately happy.
      i am NOT a salesperson, and certainly do not wish to become one.
      what is the best way to sell/advertise my stuff? how much should i
      charge (i am thinking about $25/hr plus material; is that realistic)? i
      am up in canada.
      i have spent my last 20 odd years as a computer forensic expert, and
      do not want to be doomed doing that till i ....., well, you know what i
      mean.
      i'll be watching the group for any advice....

      jacques
    • logan
      Message 69 of 69 , Apr 21, 2008

        unfortunately those days seem to be gone.  my first two reigns were 11 years ago, then i did two 5 years ago, and i just stepped down from my fifth last month and i can tell you first hand that the progression to a day of people filling in “checklists” and doing things just to get noticed has been steady.  it a shameful thing and more people are just after cookies than those just trying to make, or do, stuff because it creates a better atmosphere.  hopefully it will come full circle and go back to the way it used to be.

        on a related note, someone i had made a hanging shield for about 7 years ago just returned to atlantia.  the shield i made for her is about 20” tall and was made to hang from a wrought iron hanger outside her pavilion.   the parts of her arms were all cut out from 1/8” luan and glued to the front (sort of a 3d look) and everything painted.  her arms have a lot of white in them and i was afraid to use any kind of poly to protect the piece because of the yellowing problem.  no fun having a white field turn into an amber one.  so i used a product by behr called “crystal clear” water based polyurethane.  i must say i was greatly pleased with its condition 7 years and hundreds of hours in the sun later.  the white is still white and there are no signs of the finish failing.  has anyone else used this product?  has anyone else found something low gloss that wont yellow and doesn’t cost an arm and a leg (like the behr product does)?

        regards

        logan

        "If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared"

        Niccolo Machiavelli

        www.ebonwoulfe.com