Re: [MedievalSawdust] Re: Pear wood?

  • Dave Ordway
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 24, 2008
      Had four.  Lost two in a hurricane.  Cut them up and let them dry.  Had fuel for a firepit.  Unfortunately, they burn fast and don't produce coals, just kind of disintegrate.  My findings:  cheap firewood when they blow over, not useful for cooking, haven't used any on projects so can't speak to its woodworking qualities.  The are pretty especially when in bloom.  Have a large one, with exposed roots in my lawn, that nicely shades my back patio and pergola.  That one will come down before the next hurricane lands, not during like the other two.  That was fun, raining sideways, 80 mph winds, me with a handsaw cursing the gods.  I came up with a lot of colorful names for the species that day.  "Nasty Weed-Trees" wasn't one of them.

      Lagerstein

      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 24, 2008
        I have someone that wants the pear for woodcuts....

        I've seen her work and it is AMAZING! Looks just like it
        is supposed to look except for also looking new.

        She has some apple but has doc's that call for pear....

        I'll see if I can scare up a picture of her work...

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • lambdakennels1@juno.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 24, 2008
          Search www.woodfinder.com for pear.  I have seen Swiss pearwood listed a couple of times on it.

          Lady Stephanie Lilburn
          Stephanie Smith, Ph.D
          Hunt County, Texas
          Owned by a Poodle and an Australian Cattle Dog
          K5AMK

          -- Conal O'hAirt Jim Hart <baronconal@...> wrote:
          I have someone that wants the pear for woodcuts....

          I've seen her work and it is AMAZING! Looks just like it
          is supposed to look except for also looking new.

          She has some apple but has doc's that call for pear....

          I'll see if I can scare up a picture of her work...

          http://mail.yahoo.com

          Live the good life! Click now for great retirement planning assistance!
        • Kelvin Kuzyk
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 31, 2008

            To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
            From: n7bsn@...
            Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 04:14:23 +0000
            Subject: [MedievalSawdust] Re: Pear wood?

            --- In medievalsawdust@ yahoogroups. com, Conal O'hAirt Jim Hart
            <baronconal@ ...> wrote:

            > Anyone know of a source for pear wood?
            >
            > small pieces for woodcuts.... . 6x9 maybe.....

            I use Woodfinder http://www.woodfind er.com to locate odd woods

            Pear, like all fruit-woods, can be tough to find

            Ralg
            AnTir

            You could win a 2008 Mitsubishi Eclipse from Sympatico / MSN Autos. Hunt for the Total Eclipse NOW!