Re: Pear wood?

  • Ralph Lindberg
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 23, 2008
      <baronconal@...> wrote:

      > Anyone know of a source for pear wood?
      >
      > small pieces for woodcuts..... 6x9 maybe.....

      I use Woodfinder http://www.woodfinder.com to locate odd woods

      Pear, like all fruit-woods, can be tough to find

      Ralg
      AnTir
    • logan
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 23, 2008

        not in the south eastern united states.  the stuff is planted all over the place and falls down every time there is the slightest amount of ice/snow.  i cut up nine cords of bradford pear last time we had any weather.  that was a few years ago and its all way dried out has been burned already.  but there is  ton of it down here.

        regards

        logan

        "If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared"

        Niccolo Machiavelli

        www.ebonwoulfe.com

        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 24, 2008

          Bradford Pears are a non-bearing ornamental favored by landscapers because they are a) cheap, b) grow fast, and c) provide for rich, luxuriant foliage.

          Unfortunately, they also have a shallow root system and often blow over at the first sign of wind, ice, snow, or a neighbor sneezing.  A friend of mine who used to make his living as a tree-butcher called them “nasty weed-trees.”

          Will

          > small pieces for woodcuts.... . 6x9 maybe.....

          I use Woodfinder http://www.woodfind er.com to locate odd woods

          Pear, like all fruit-woods, can be tough to find

          Ralg
          AnTir

        • Rebekah d'Avignon
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 24, 2008
            Unfortunately this is a trademark of our society - get it quick and quicker. One problem is that fast-growing wood tends to be very soft due to the distance between the growth rings. I have some friends whose property is covered (they'd say littered) with very tall cheap poplars which are considered "trash trees" - not that poplars are bad (some species), but these were planted "for quick shade". In a storm they tend to fall apart.....and at a foot or so in diameter they can total a car or house quickly.

            Bill McNutt <mcnutt@...> wrote:
            Bradford Pears are a non-bearing ornamental favored by landscapers because they are a) cheap, b) grow fast, and c) provide for rich, luxuriant foliage.
            Unfortunately, they also have a shallow root system and often blow over at the first sign of wind, ice, snow, or a neighbor sneezing.  A friend of mine who used to make his living as a tree-butcher called them “nasty weed-trees.”
            Will
            .

            RdA
            A waist is a terrible thing to mind.

          • Dave Ordway
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 24, 2008
              Had four.  Lost two in a hurricane.  Cut them up and let them dry.  Had fuel for a firepit.  Unfortunately, they burn fast and don't produce coals, just kind of disintegrate.  My findings:  cheap firewood when they blow over, not useful for cooking, haven't used any on projects so can't speak to its woodworking qualities.  The are pretty especially when in bloom.  Have a large one, with exposed roots in my lawn, that nicely shades my back patio and pergola.  That one will come down before the next hurricane lands, not during like the other two.  That was fun, raining sideways, 80 mph winds, me with a handsaw cursing the gods.  I came up with a lot of colorful names for the species that day.  "Nasty Weed-Trees" wasn't one of them.

              Lagerstein

              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 24, 2008
                I have someone that wants the pear for woodcuts....

                I've seen her work and it is AMAZING! Looks just like it
                is supposed to look except for also looking new.

                She has some apple but has doc's that call for pear....

                I'll see if I can scare up a picture of her work...

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • lambdakennels1@juno.com
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 24, 2008
                  Search www.woodfinder.com for pear.  I have seen Swiss pearwood listed a couple of times on it.

                  Lady Stephanie Lilburn
                  Stephanie Smith, Ph.D
                  Hunt County, Texas
                  Owned by a Poodle and an Australian Cattle Dog
                  K5AMK

                  -- Conal O'hAirt Jim Hart <baronconal@...> wrote:
                  I have someone that wants the pear for woodcuts....

                  I've seen her work and it is AMAZING! Looks just like it
                  is supposed to look except for also looking new.

                  She has some apple but has doc's that call for pear....

                  I'll see if I can scare up a picture of her work...

                  http://mail.yahoo.com

                  Live the good life! Click now for great retirement planning assistance!
                • Kelvin Kuzyk
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 31, 2008

                    To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
                    From: n7bsn@...
                    Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 04:14:23 +0000

                    <baronconal@ ...> wrote:

                    > Anyone know of a source for pear wood?
                    >
                    > small pieces for woodcuts.... . 6x9 maybe.....

                    I use Woodfinder http://www.woodfind er.com to locate odd woods

                    Pear, like all fruit-woods, can be tough to find

                    Ralg
                    AnTir

                    You could win a 2008 Mitsubishi Eclipse from Sympatico / MSN Autos. Hunt for the Total Eclipse NOW!