Re: Bow lathe video rough draft

  • gameresearch
    Message 1 of 22 , Mar 23, 2008
      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "gameresearch" <myspace@...>

      http://s19.photobucket.com/albums/b160/Groomporter/video%20experiment/?action=view¤t=BowLathe.flv
      > --
      > MacGregor Historic Games
      > http://historicgames.com

      Since I am working on a video of my bow powered lathe I decided to
      start collecting a list of recommended videos on YouTube showing
      man-powered lathes as part of my Early Wood Turning website.
      http://www.historicgames.com/lathes/videos.html

      Chas
      --
      MacGregor Historic Games
      http://historicgames.com
      Message 2 of 22 , Mar 24, 2008
        wrote:

        > There's no narration yet, but I've been experimenting with making a
        > little video of myself using my hand-powered bow lathe.

        http://s19.photobucket.com/albums/b160/Groomporter/video%20experiment/?action=view¤t=BowLathe.flv
        > --
        > MacGregor Historic Games
        > http://historicgames.com

        An updated version of my video with narration is now available on
        YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14nf_AzM_kE

        Chas
        --
        MacGregor Historic Games
        http://historicgames.com
        Message 3 of 22 , Mar 25, 2008
          That's pretty cool. Do you feel you have sufficient control using one
          hand? I imagine that takes some getting used to. I built a small bow
          lathe several years ago but have never used it because I really don't
          have any project that requires turning (I just wanted to build it).

          Guillaume

          Message 4 of 22 , Mar 25, 2008
            --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Hall, Hayward" <hallh@...> wrote:

            > That's pretty cool. Do you feel you have sufficient control using one
            > hand? I imagine that takes some getting used to. I built a small bow
            > lathe several years ago but have never used it because I really don't
            > have any project that requires turning (I just wanted to build it).

            It takes some practice, but there's plenty of control, the lace making
            bobbins shown at the end of the video were all turned on that lathe.
            Although I did originally start out working with a variation on a
            spring pole lathe so I had some experience before I started
            experimenting with the bow lathe.

            Chas
            --
            MacGregor Games
            http://historicgames.com
            Message 5 of 22 , Mar 31, 2008
                  Greetings group,

              I am a one year old member of the SCA, and I have been to a several events now. I have competed only on the Archery range thus far.

              I also make many things of wood, pottery, and chain maile. I have been asked by a few about selling these things, my current direction is making arrows, and bows, mostly for my knowledge, but have givin selling these items more thought. I was at coronation this past weekend, and there was one merchant who was selling bows, and arrows, the bows all appeared to be bows from bow making companies, and not sure if there was a bow made by their hand or not. Most looked to be mass produced and ordered thru their company for sale at the event.

              I am looking to sell some of my woodworking items, feast boxes, Horn Holders, some chainmail jewlery, plates, and goblets hand painted by my wife, and hopefully handmade bows from me, and arrows I make. Also would like to offer arrow repair services for archers who may need of this.

              I guess what I am asking is would the other take offense to me selling these things, what about the rest of the kingdom? I own my own company a software company, so running a business is not a problem. I just dont know how I will be seen/taken by selling items while my membership in the sca is so new.....

              I would appreciate any advice from others who work and play in the sca.....

              peace
              Gavin
            • leaking pen
              Message 6 of 22 , Mar 31, 2008
                Wow. Those are some pretty big words for a one year old. (sorry,
                old joke, had to butcher it)

                Competition is the backbone of free enterprise. If you can produce and
                sell either cheaper or better goods, do it. (if you can do both at the
                same time, Yippee!)

                Actual sca membership is generally not something required to sell in
                the first place. Although ive been told a lot of wars give you table
                discounts if you are.

                --
                That which yields isn't always weak.
                Message 7 of 22 , Mar 31, 2008

                  You will find that while some folks will try to tell you that “in the SCA we . . .”

                  What I’ve learned after 20 years of doing this is that what offends people is regional.  So I won’t try and speak for the SCA, but I’ll speak for Meridies.

                  Nobody down here is going to be offended if you go into the Merchant biz, either as an artisan, or as a vendor.  You should be able to hang out your shingle at events without offending anybody.  Nobody gets to stake out territory in a particular medium (woodworking) or service (arrow repair) and claim a monopoly.

                  As far as I know, the only way you can offend somebody by doing your art down here is to snag somebody’s design and use it without permission.  Most artisans are willing to help each other out with their medium, but taking somebody else’s design without permission will get you in deep artistic soup.

                  Brace your self to not make a lot of money though.  SCA folks like it CHEAP.

                  Will

                  Message 8 of 22 , Mar 31, 2008
                    Thank you all! Some have posted privatly others publicly, I want to thank you for taking the time to help this "Newbie"

                    I am not going to be doing anything resembling anyone elses design or copy/plaguerize anyones work. I am wanting to do this to one, show off my work, two, provide a service, and three, not expecting to make any money at all. hopefully enough to re-coup costs, or buy a burger when im hungry. I do enjoy playing so probably wont even be running my booth, instead will most likely leave the selling to the wife, or the teen daughter who doenst care to "Live in the Dream" but instead would rather learn to become a lawyer. (hoping one day she can take care of us too :)

                    Obviosuly will have stuff priced already so the daughter can sell, and while playing hope to drum up more business. and of course come back to do the few custom jobs like arrow repair, or custom fletching.

                    one final question, how many merchants, woodworkers , make some of the stuff on-site say as a demo or to finish up a custom peice for the customer who is expecting it that weekend? Just trying to get an idea how much of this stuff should I take into the field with me and how much to leave home. I have a very limited inventory, and would most likely need to take orders, and build when i got home. and send or deliver the peice at the next event.

                    Thanks again for your time.

                    Gavin

                    Message 9 of 22 , Mar 31, 2008

                      I end up taking most of my tools to war.  I can’t help myself.

                      But I’m so slow at this that I just pick at projects, except for repairs, which I seem to be able to crank out fairly quickly.

                      Will

                      From: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com [mailto: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com ] On Behalf Of Oakes, George

                      Message 10 of 22 , Apr 4, 2008
                        Hello to a fellow boyer. If you are serious about making bows there is
                        a series called the traditional boyer's bible by Bois D'arc press.
                        These 3 book will take you step by step into the world of bows arrows
                        and tackle. Now it is time to ask yourself how nuts are you? Myself am
                        quite mental as I hand make my bows %100 by hand using old antique
                        tools. Some things to consider as well. If you are making bows for
                        war, OVERBUILD them. If your client says they want a bow that is 27
                        inches draw length make it pull to about 30+ as many Archery Marshals
                        do not understand that a good wood bow is 9/10th broken, meaning the
                        bow when pulled to its draw is set for that draw and may break or be
                        damaged if pulled past it.
                        Is the client a compound shooter? If so remind them a wood bow has no
                        let off and they have to retrain music memory to have an even pull,
                        not a quick jerk to break the letoff. If you pull a wood bow fast the
                        wood may not have enough time to react and my break.
                        Most any wood will make a bow. I made a bow out of douglas fir on a
                        bet. Belive it or not a flat bow is period and works well in any wood.
                        A "D" bow is limited to select woods, yew, osage maple and hickory are
                        the best for this.
                        As to fletching thats a different can o worms. Do you want period as
                        in tied to the shaft or is gluing what your going for? I tie my arrows
                        and have learned to not use a jig.
                        If you want to talk more about this Email me brassbow@...
                        Carvin Asche
                        in mundamia aka Richard Cunningham
                      • Bob Nelson
                        Message 11 of 22 , Apr 4, 2008
                          Can you provide any info on how to make an English
                          long-bow, as they were made in medieval times?

                          To start with, just how long were they?
                          What kind of arrows (and heads) did they shoot?
                          What kind of wood was used ( I have heard it was
                          always from the Yew tree, but don't really know for
                          sure)?
                          What was the typical draw length?

                          Isaac Asimov wrote a brief history of two battles
                          the English had with the French, where the out-
                          numbered English completely annihilated an
                          entire generation of French knights (on French
                          soil), and then did it again about 75 years
                          later after the French had forgotten how deadly
                          the longbow was. The French did not have the
                          longbow because they were unwilling to follow
                          the English example of establishing an entire
                          new "middle-class)" (between nobles and laborers)
                          to man the longbow. It is fascinating history.

                          But just what were the characteristics of the
                          genuine longbow? There must still be some on
                          exhibit in English museums, I would think.

                          Cheers - Bob Nelson
                        • leaking pen
                          Message 12 of 22 , Apr 4, 2008
                            Most everyone ive seen with stands up that are limited in scope to
                            just what they make themselves will have pieces they are working on.
                            If nothing else, it helps draw in customers. Also, haveing ran other
                            stand up shops before elsewhere, you will have busy times, and you
                            will have slack times. Having something to do during slack is
                            probably very very good.